Some Product Photography.

A very good effort.
You might consider stripping out the background, just to get greater consistency between shots.
If you cut out to a transparent background you can then make it white, black or anything else that you want, including of course a gradient. You've already got a good result on the background, but this would be better.
Lighting-wise, the diffused specular reflection (of the softbox) right is uneven, it needs to follow the angle of the product. And, if were closer then the reflection would be larger and softer.
Perspective - you're looking down on the subject (not a lot, but enough for the perspective to be a bit distorted. In a perfect world, you would have used a large format monorail camera with drop front to maintain the straight lines, but with a digital camera the quick and easy solution is to go to Edit>transform in PS and get the verticals straight. It's only awkward buggers like me who see it, but I think that non-photographers see that it isn't quite perfect, even if they don't know why.

But, considering that you're brand new to this, you've done a fantstic job!

A very good effort.
You might consider stripping out the background, just to get greater consistency between shots.
If you cut out to a transparent background you can then make it white, black or anything else that you want, including of course a gradient. You've already got a good result on the background, but this would be better.
Lighting-wise, the diffused specular reflection (of the softbox) right is uneven, it needs to follow the angle of the product. And, if were closer then the reflection would be larger and softer.
Perspective - you're looking down on the subject (not a lot, but enough for the perspective to be a bit distorted. In a perfect world, you would have used a large format monorail camera with drop front to maintain the straight lines, but with a digital camera the quick and easy solution is to go to Edit>transform in PS and get the verticals straight. It's only awkward buggers like me who see it, but I think that non-photographers see that it isn't quite perfect, even if they don't know why.

But, considering that you're brand new to this, you've done a fantstic job!

Cheers Garry,

All taken on board. The Lencarta kit is all excellent, well pleased with it.

Dougie.

I read the original post about the equipment and wish I could justify the same set up.

I mostly photograph fish we have for sale, maybe the light set up would work for that too, but occasionally as our suppliers tend to be very much small businesses that don't provide quality images I have to make my own.

Good effort, certainly better than most supplier provided images!

I read the original post about the equipment and wish I could justify the same set up.

I mostly photograph fish we have for sale, maybe the light set up would work for that too, but occasionally as our suppliers tend to be very much small businesses that don't provide quality images I have to make my own.

Good effort, certainly better than most supplier provided images!
For fish tanks, a flashgun each side, with maybe a large piece of white card behind the tank, is all that you need.

For fish tanks, a flashgun each side, with maybe a large piece of white card behind the tank, is all that you need.
We sell koi carp, so our photos are taken in a blue bowl, enough fresh tap water (even the clearest pond water has a tinge to it) so movement doesn't cause excess rippling. We tend to net the fish, gentle sedate them, then transfer by hand to the photo bowl. In the attached photo you will see the two rectangle bowls, one for larger fish, the other for smaller fish.

Issue with any fixed lighting is access. Fish move around, you can guarantee they will not swim towards me!

FB_IMG_1537018605578.jpeg

Ahh right...
My advice was based on the assumption that the fish will be in a glass aquarium - doing it with them in workbins or similar will make it much more difficult.
If you want a blue tinge, just either use a piece of blue paper as a background.
Edit: And if it's a narrow tank, this will limit the movement of the fish, which will make life even easier.
With one flashgun positioned at each end of the tank, right up against the glass and with the light skimming along the length of the fish, adequate lighting is all but guaranteed, assuming that the fish is somewhere near the middle of the tank..

Last edited:
Excellent images in the original post especially being new to product photography and some sound advise from Garry.

Onto the Fishy photography, back in the days when I was involved in scientific imagery of specimens, aquatic species were often photographed in narrow tanks that tapered towards the bottom like a V, these were constructed from clear acrylic sheets and consisted of the two sides two end panels all sealed to a clear base, as Garry says this restricted movement and also allowed for different coloured backgrounds (a little retouching would be needed) but also allowed for decent lighting of the specimen...

Not sure is that is of much help but may be worth looking at...

Back