Critique Some Rugby Photos- Updated

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
OK Rugby season started.

Got new kit which is making a difference- D500 & 120-300 2.8. Sore shoulder currently means monopod with ballhead to try to keep it all going.

Some from yesterday's club game, but I'm finding it a bit difficult keeping a lock on the action at times. AFC with BBF and I've tried Single point, Group and D25 options. I'm at 1/1000s min, usually f3.5-5 ish.

Should I be trying to move the centre point on the fly with the little joystick or can anyone with more sports suggest any things for me to try/ practice?

CC welcome

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1698 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1583 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1472 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1250 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1095 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1867 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1779 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

For football, I use BBF with AF-C dynamic 9 (similar to your D500's dynamic 25, which I used on my D500).

You just need to practise keeping the AF point on the player. I wouldn't be looking at moving the focus point whilst shooting action.

I try to stick to at least 1/1250th in a daytime game, usually 1/1600th.

Also, try to keep players out of the frame, that have been chopped off! :)

You just need to practise keeping the AF point on the player. I wouldn't be looking at moving the focus point whilst shooting action.
Also, try to keep players out of the frame, that have been chopped off! :)

Thanks Wez

I didn't fancy playing space invaders with the camera at the same time as I was panning across the field following the action.

I try re the cropped players - be a bit more brutal in my culling and cropping.

Cheers

You should be cropping much, much tighter. 1, 2, 4 (!), 5 and 6.

4 might be a lost cause though if the action is too far away a tight crop will be poor quality.

You should be cropping much, much tighter. 1, 2, 4 (!), 5 and 6.

4 might be a lost cause though if the action is too far away a tight crop will be poor quality.

Thanks for this

Problem with having a landscape background. Will perhaps have another go when home at weekend

Is this a better crop for No 2?
36645387700_90b5ed7754_b.jpg

Lasswade by Jim Tod, on Flickr
Definitely better, I may have left the space between the ball carrier and the player you cropped out though to give space for the movement of the action to be going into.

Definitely better, I may have left the space between the ball carrier and the player you cropped out though to give space for the movement of the action to be going into.

Will have another go when back home at weekend

Also, you should be crouching down/sitting on a stool when taking rugby pictures (assuming you aren't already). It's the most common error amateur photographers make.

Ok, instruction taken, just ordered a walkstool. I should have thought of it before- there must be a reason all the togs at the internationals are sitting down

Had a chance to crop and edit some as suggested. Thanks to brizrob for this- personally I think they're much improved.

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1583 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1250 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1095 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1867 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

And a couple of additional ones with similar crop treatment which I like more wi

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1925 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1850 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170902- Lasswade v Peebles-1505 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

Crops are much better now so that's a great improvement. The only further constructive criticism I would provide is the following:

2. Crop seems unbalanced with a lot of empty space on the left.

3. Again slightly unbalanced on the left.

6. Blur is the boot suggests your shutter speed was too low. No issue going near 1/2000 on a bright day. Wouldn't have been a keeper for me, main action is going away from you. Unfortunatley there can be a lot of downtime for sports photographers when the action is going the other way.

7. Same as 6. No interest in the back of players heads.

Not so much a crit but I think 5 is interesting just because the referee seems to be on the floor.

Crops are much better now so that's a great improvement. The only further constructive criticism I would provide is the following:
Thanks Stephen, appreciate the crit.

I went to another game with gala and dundee today and I'm going to try to be more brutal with my pp and keepers. Will post when done

Back