Some Snowy trees from Cumbria

Name
Mark Littlejohn
Edit My Images
No
A while since I've put owt on here. I don't seem to have been able to get more than 10 miles from home for about two and a half months and had very little time for my own photography. Fortunately we had a couple of snowy days in March when I wasn't working - albeit with very limited time on my part as I had other stuff on.

Very good set, they look like pencil sketches. Love the sheep under the tree

As everyone else is celebrating birds and flowers? :cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I buy the fourth one… delicious!

Last edited:
Nice set the sheep under the tree is very cool, and the last one has an almost fairy tail feel to it (y)

lovely stuff Mark 2 & 4 are my faves in that order.
I havent seen any snow hardly this winter.

Really like 2. I love the bold central composition and the sheep hiding under the tree. It screams cold and deep winter.

Really liking the high key processing of the first three.

I'd like one more if it was just a little more tightly cropped - keeping the same aspect but taking some off the left and top

Cheers for the comments folks

lovely stuff Mark 2 & 4 are my faves in that order.
I havent seen any snow hardly this winter.

Its been dreadful. A couple of half days near Ullswater and thats been it. Should have cancelled my afternoon appt on the 22nd of March because it was flat out amazing. Gent I was going to see was an hour and a half late so I could have stayed out longer.....One of those things. Brotherswater could have been amazing.

I'd like one more if it was just a little more tightly cropped - keeping the same aspect but taking some off the left and top

Its been cropped every which way. It depends on the time of day, how much I've had to drink, if the mrs is smiling etc etc as to where I like it best. When its as minimal as that it really is down to personal choice. I'll be doing a FB page spiel about space using this picture and about 6 different crops. It changes according to screen size as well. More space looks better on a big screen as the tree is still a decent size. Of the four it'll likely be the only one not to get printed....

Cheers for the comments folks

Its been dreadful. A couple of half days near Ullswater and thats been it. Should have cancelled my afternoon appt on the 22nd of March because it was flat out amazing. Gent I was going to see was an hour and a half late so I could have stayed out longer.....One of those things. Brotherswater could have been amazing.

Its been cropped every which way. It depends on the time of day, how much I've had to drink, if the mrs is smiling etc etc as to where I like it best. When its as minimal as that it really is down to personal choice. I'll be doing a FB page spiel about space using this picture and about 6 different crops. It changes according to screen size as well. More space looks better on a big screen as the tree is still a decent size. Of the four it'll likely be the only one not to get printed....
Out here on the west coast we didn't even get the little bit you did and I was working nights so had no opportunity to get out inland.

Last edited:
They are gorgeous.
Another vote for the sheep taking shelter.
I really struggle with metering in the extreme conditions, these look fabulous.

Love these especially 2 & 3 good to see you posting again, 2 is my favourite

Not sure what I enjoy the most about these Mark, the simplicity and beauty of the images or the p/p to finish them off but I will say that No.4 is absolutely fabulous :clap:As said above, almost pencil like sketch. Would love to see this sort of snow in Suffolk or Norfolk
PS. Is there a book on the way?

I really struggle with metering in the extreme conditions, these look fabulous.

In conditions like this the light doesn't tend to change. I use old MF lenses - mostly set to f5.6 or f8, focus on infinity (depending on FL) and set up exposure as far to the right as possible and then forget about it. You can concentrate on taking pictures then.

Not sure what I enjoy the most about these Mark, the simplicity and beauty of the images or the p/p to finish them off but I will say that No.4 is absolutely fabulous :clap:As said above, almost pencil like sketch. Would love to see this sort of snow in Suffolk or Norfolk
PS. Is there a book on the way?

Evening mate - hows things? I've finished the picture taking for the book. Still got a month of workshops, then three months off to do some writing and work on the steamers before the workshops start up again in September.

No4 is really very nice indeed :)

All very very good. But for me number 2 as it has a bit of humour, would make a good Christmas card for someone like the NFU.

Very minimalist which I love, and I am glad to see perfectly white snow, and not grey! Top job and I would definitely have a think about printing one of them.

I have a real thing about trees but taking photos of trees is always a tricky topic to make them look something, and you have done a fantastic job! That's cracking work Mark i love them all, what a set!(y)

Gorgeous set, love the sheep in no2 and the crop edges it as the best for me.

Back