Some thing works out and others fail

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Think I have come to some conclusions with the Tokina now....

1st off after the shots below I decided to move light further from the subject this worked. However due to the majority of shooting with this setup you are 80-90 degrees from the ground which causes the flare (glare/bounce whatever you want to call it)

So clearly an issue when shooting subjects such as collembola who are low to the ground. Think I need to get a reverse ring and then I should be able to use the 1.4x TC though this will increase the magnification again but should allow me to be further from subject and get the angle required for the light to work properly.

These subjects were on a slope so even though lens was tilted at sharp angle it was reduced due to the slope the collembola was on.

Both Unedited so please don't critique.... I can recover images quite well with the tone curve set to strong contrast but colour can go put.

IMG_0480
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_0479
by bthomas124, on Flickr

3. One edited

IMG_0430
by bthomas124, on Flickr

So next steps is to remove the adapter and try with just a ring and the TC also re try the adapter when I have lined the tube sections with black velvet.

:ty:

Edit : I realised that I just need to remove the front part of the adapter to make it like a reverse ring thus can add a new 1.4X TC convertor too. This was a complete success no flare/glare issues seen. With the TC added it now has at 11 mm scene width of 2mm. .... 11x mag

Last edited:
Holy macaroni!

Indeed, problem is I so want the auto adapter to work but think it may be consigned to the bin again. o_O

Causes too much problems with MFD if subject is very close to the ground... will work for things on edges of leaves ;)

Think 2mm scene width is far too small but least with the front part of adapter removed it allowed me to get a shallow angle.

Looking good. It's interesting to see folks try things out and earn some success.

Paul.

We shall see not done yet....

Causes too much problems with MFD if subject is very close to the ground... will work for things on edges of leaves ;)

I get this problem with the MP-E - there's a good 5cm below the actual lens which prevent me getting down to eye level with bugs at high magnifications. You basically need to move the subject into a position where you can get the lens underneath it, so move it to the edge of the bench or whatever raised surface you can find or lift up the leaf/branch whatever with your left hand, rest the edge of the lens on your left palm and manipulate the subject into position with your fingers (part of the reason I have spent time persevering with the smaller kit was because it made this task easier).

Fortunately at this magnification the bugs are so small that they often don't realise they've been lifted up if you are careful ;)

Good advice though I have not had much luck lifting Springtails off my patio lol the ones I shoot recently have been constantly on the move.

Need to line the inside of the tubes before I chuck away as it is definitely the worth a try.

Personally think 11x magnification is too much for what I need so might be worth a dabble now and then but not in my plans for use.

I do have some dolls hair shot with that level and it looks cool will post once edited.

Back