something different with a barn owl.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
After our landscape workshop on Holy Island on saturday the falconer who my mate uses brought over one of his barn owls for some advertising shots in front of the castle.
He's running a new workshop where he incorporates the birds of prey into the landscape side of photography and wanted a shot to show the type of things to expect.

I took a couple while we were chatting.

Both taken with Canon 6D + 24-105 F4L

1/640th - f4.5 - iso200

1/1000th - f4.5 - iso200

1/1000th - f4.5 - iso200

These are transferred from the camera via wifi and edited with Snapseed on my Galaxy S5 so they havent been near the PC yet. I've been too tired to even turn the computer on and look at the shots, I was out from 4am on saturday morning for sunrise at Bamburgh and didn't get home till 1am Sunday!

Anyways, hope you like them :)

Nick

Last edited:
Three "Excellent" shots Nick, I like them all very much.(y)

George.

First one works best for me, the sign pointing to the castle and the owl appearing to invite you in.

Perhaps F8 or 9 to get more depth of field showing more of the castle, dunno if that was possible or not of course,just a thought.

Amazing - great model :) got the posing techniques off pat.............. prefer 2 & 3 - No 1 is also a great shot, however the leg tether is slightly more visible.

Lovely option in using the Barn Owl, I was looking at the workshop in August but a long way to go for me ... pity as I'm up there beginning of June :(

All very good but #1 is my pick,almost has a Harry Potter scene feel to it.

For me, if these are meant to be landscape, then the landscape should be fully in focus. They are more like just BOP shots rather than a mixture of a BOP in a Landscape.

Yes, the whole point is to incoporate a landscape aspect of photography into an established bird of prey workshop.
The idea is to differentiate them from the standard woodland backdrops etc and offer something with a twist.
The primary subject is the birds but like wildlife and bird photograpy the aperture is set to not distract from the subject.

Appreciate its not going to be for everyone but cheers for all the comments!!

Nick

Back