Somethings nicking my pixels......

Name
Darrin
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, I'm not great at pp, but trying to export a few shots from lightroom and have come across something puzzling...

One of the images that is 25mb, when exported as jpeg with no compression results in a 1.2mb image......exported as tiff is 25mb still, which I understand as there's no compression..

Any ideas why??.... is it because the image is cropped and lr is displaying the whole image size? if so, how does that explain the cropped tiff being the original size?

Thanks.....

It's because jpg is a lossy compression file format. Even at 100% image quality, there is some compression.

Of course if the image is cropped, only the remaining pixels will be exported, it will discard whatever you cropped out.

The fact it's exported as a jpeg means there is a lot of compression going on, even at 100% quality.

TIFF files are bigger than raw files as they are upscaled to 16 bit, which requires much more memory.

Probably you have cropped the image down from the raw so the JPG is compressed and the TIFF just happens to be 25mb once your cropped image is upscaled.

Back