Son going to Uni

Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
My son has got his A level results today, and a confirmed place at Sheffield Hallam University doing Automotive Engineering, I couldn't be prouder of him today. He has worked hard throughout his schooling and deserves to do well. He has done so much better than I ever did at school.

I would like to congratulate all of the other A level students who got their results today, I hope that everyone got what they had hoped for and the courses they applied for.

Doug

the last of my five sons got his uni of choice today.. film studies at salford uni... its were the media city thng is in manchester ,,,,, so much sought after for this kinda course.... out of 7 kids he is only the the second to go to uni...... i am having a quite pleased drink about it as i type :)

for the record.. i legally left school age 14 (birthday 1st aug) and never did any exam other than a failed 11 plus.......only the chosen ones did o levels or a levels and I wasnt one of them.. But.... I am doIng OK :) iF ONLY i COULD SPEL.

Snap! Sort of... My Grandson has had his place confirmed at Sheffield Hallam today. He will be doing Surveying.

Anthony.

Well done to him, I hope he enjoys the experience and gets a good degree.

the last of my five sons got his uni of choice today.. film studies at salford uni... its were the media city thng is in manchester ,,,,, so much sought after for this kinda course.... out of 7 kids he is only the the second to go to uni...... i am having a quite pleased drink about it as i type :)

for the record.. i legally left school age 14 (birthday 1st aug) and never did any exam other than a failed 11 plus.......only the chosen ones did o levels or a levels and I wasnt one of them.. But.... I am doIng OK :) iF ONLY i COULD SPEL.

I'm the same, can't spell, but have done alright. I'm just glad my both of my boys have the chance to do all they want with their lives and get a good education that will hopefully lead to a fullfilling and rewarding career. Next week for GCSE results for the youngest! :nailbiting:

Well done to him, I hope he enjoys the experience and gets a good degree.

I'm the same, can't spell, but have done alright. I'm just glad my both of my boys have the chance to do all they want with their lives and get a good education that will hopefully lead to a fullfilling and rewarding career. Next week for GCSE results for the youngest! :nailbiting:

the differences now from when i left school is amazing. the opportunities they have now....... didnt help that i had a lazy eye so had to wear a patch at school so couldnt really see to do a lot.. not that anyone cared.. now I can only write in capitol letters and have never been able to do joined up writing....but in this day and age nobody writes its all computers :)

Well done to him! You can be assured hes going down a very good career path. Any mechanical type engineering is tough, but well worth it!

He knows that he's chosen a hard subject to do, but is a real petrol head, and just loves motors. All the university's we went to said that a degree in any form of engineering was a good way of getting work as the country is crying out for them. Hopefully he has chosen the right path for him.

My son has had a bit of a setback. After a two year false start studying motor engineering, he changed course due to his work with St John Ambulance and decided to study Paramedic Science which required another two years at the local college leading to an Access course.

He was accepted at Surrey, Hertfordshire and Bournemouth and chose Guildford.

Part of the entry requirement is to have a class B driving licence (and C1 by the second year) with the understanding that he would have it by the start date. He was planning to sort this out in a couple of weeks but has now been told that as he doesn't have it right now, they can no longer accept him.

He has taken this disappointment in his stride and rather than dwell on what can't be, he has investigated other possibilities and has discovered that some universities have a March intake as well as September. He has been accepted (pending an interview) at both Oxford Brookes and Bedfordshire with Worcester being another possibility.

I was pleasantly surprised a couple of years ago to realise that he had a five year plan worked out for himself. When I was eighteen, I didn't even have a five minute plan!

Steve.

My son stayed on at school for an extra year to get the grades he needed to get into uni. I wish your son all the best for the future & hope it all works out for him. He sounds like he has his head screwed on properly

My daughters the last of mine at uni, she starts her third year this year at UCL studying Archaeology son No3 has just finished uni and heads off to China a week on Monday teaching english as a 2nd language, son No1 finished uni a few years back and is already in Czech republic teaching english as a 2nd language. Son no2 never went to uni, joined the army instead. They all make me very proud.

I went to Hallam in 2001. I had a great deal of fun there and learnt a lot- Being situated near Sheffield Uni was a bonus also. Sheffield is a small but well catered city for students.
Best of luck to their future endeavors!

Really enjoyed my three years in Sheffield, especially as I was there during the synth pop/new romantics hey-day with ABC, Heaven 17 and Human League all coming out of Sheffield. Great city to be a student with two big universities and a teaching hospital

Same here with our Granddaughter! Got a confirmed place at Manchester Met, flat all sorted, money in place, really chuffed for her.
She is the first in our side of the family EVER to attend Uni! AND, photography is part of what she will be doing as she is taking design/fashion/textiles.
Proud to have started her with her interest in photography!

The general consensus seems to be that Sheffield is great city to study in. My son is looking forward to going there, it's only the missus that is doing the "mother hen" thing, worried about her little boy off to the big city. Won't eat properly, stay up all night etc. I'm sure he will be fine as will all of the students about to embark on the next stage of their lives, so good luck to all of them i wish them all the very best for the future.

congrats to all.

my daughter got an A* for Art, and A in Psychology and a B in Film Studies in her final A levels, and will be off to study art at Uni, so very proud of her.

Busy week in our household, my youngest son got his GCSE results yesterday, and to say I'm proud is an understatement, 5A 4B and a C. With a father like me I think that both of my boys have done extremly well.

Again well done to everyone that got exam results this week, I hope that thay can all fulfil their plans for the future.

He knows that he's chosen a hard subject to do, but is a real petrol head, and just loves motors. All the university's we went to said that a degree in any form of engineering was a good way of getting work as the country is crying out for them. Hopefully he has chosen the right path for him.

He'll also find that his chosen path will literally open up the world to him too.
British engineers are highly coveted globally.

He knows that it s good career path to go down. All the university's we visited said that any engineering degree would almost guarantee a well paid job as the country is crying out for them.

........it's only the missus that is doing the "mother hen" thing, worried about her little boy off to the big city. ........
You should have had a 17 year old daughter going to a London Uni the missus was in a state for months, mind you so was I :)

My oldest left school at 16 with a few gcse ,got married had two kids ,took herself back to college got the qualifications she needed then got a place in Cambridge ,luckily it was just a local commute , got a degree in English which took her into a management job . A couple of years ago she was offered a bursary to take a MA at Liverpool in racecourse management ,which she got . she is now the boss at racing welfare the charity for the racing industry . Makes you proud don’t it

Our son (now 30) went to Uni in Bristol at 18, and has lived there ever since. The Uni course didn't go that well, but he sorted himself a 2nd three year course in digital music, but after all of that, he's returned to his first love of software and working for a decent company. He now lives with his girlfriend and they have a nice home.

We were worried at first, but most of these "kids" take it all in their stride. When I grew up only the chosen few went to university, the opportunities for 16-18's is now so much better than 30 years ago. Best of luck to all of those taking their first steps to real adulthood (notice I didn't say independence!!).

My youngest has just finished his 2nd year at Reading, doing a business and management degree. He's trying to get a placement at the moment, but if not he will go and do his final year.

It is so hard for the kids these days to know what to do, if University is worth the expense or to go to college / apprenticeship. Me & my wife just wanted them both to do what they wanted, and hopefully a degree will help them for their future. I guess we all want that for our kids.

I will up date this thread when he finishes in Reading

My son has had a bit of a setback. After a two year false start studying motor engineering, he changed course due to his work with St John Ambulance and decided to study Paramedic Science which required another two years at the local college leading to an Access course.

He was accepted at Surrey, Hertfordshire and Bournemouth and chose Guildford.

Part of the entry requirement is to have a class B driving licence (and C1 by the second year) with the understanding that he would have it by the start date. He was planning to sort this out in a couple of weeks but has now been told that as he doesn't have it right now, they can no longer accept him.

He has taken this disappointment in his stride and rather than dwell on what can't be, he has investigated other possibilities and has discovered that some universities have a March intake as well as September. He has been accepted (pending an interview) at both Oxford Brookes and Bedfordshire with Worcester being another possibility.

I was pleasantly surprised a couple of years ago to realise that he had a five year plan worked out for himself. When I was eighteen, I didn't even have a five minute plan!

Steve.
Id Skip the C1 and do C instead. Price should be similar but you have a lot more options should thing not work out

Id Skip the C1 and do C instead. Price should be similar but you have a lot more options should thing not work out

I think you have to progress through classes now and a C1 is required before C can be taken.

Steve.

I think you have to progress through classes now and a C1 is required before C can be taken.

Steve.

Nope, you can go straight to class c from a class b car licence.

Well final update, my youngest has now finished uni & has a 2/1 in business and management. Now the hard work of looking for a job starts. He was hoping for a first but with all the teaching being disrupted due to covid, he found it hard. Having said that we are super proud of him & his brother. They are now the most highly qualified members of our household!
Can't believe their uni years are over now.

Final update for this thread I started back in 2015. How time has flown, well next Wednesday me & the missus are off to Reading Uni for the youngest sons graduation, it being delayed due to covid19. I can't believe where the last 7 years have gone, but now at least I can sit back and say job done, Both of my lads now have degrees and are both working full time , so I consider as parents we have done the best we could have for them both, now that this chapter of their lives is complete, on to the next.

I bet there are many of you out there feel the same. You can only assist, provide support and encouragement during your child's education and hope that it all turns out well. hopefully in our case it has.

Should any one be interested my eldest is currently working on the doors for the Mercedes AMG One car that has just been released, and he might not have got this job without his degree, plus he's working in an industry that he loves.

Work hard and follow your dreams & you never know where this will lead

Doug

Last edited:
Should any one be interested my eldest is currently working on the doors for the Mercedes AMG One car that has just been released, and he might not have got this job without his degree, plus he's working in an industry that he loves.

Work hard and follow your dreams & you never know where his will lead

Doug

I watched a documentary about the development of the Lotus Elise and the guy running the project said he'd rather do a new engine than doors so I'm sure your son has his hands full :D

Well done to you and Mrs and congratulations to our sons :D

I watched a documentary about the development of the Lotus Elise and the guy running the project said he'd rather do a new engine than doors so I'm sure your son has his hands full :D

Well done to you and Mrs and congratulations to our sons :D
He comes home most days and says "bloody doors" most take a whole week to do, but they are trying to get that up to 2 a week. ! Guess that's why the cars cost £2.4 million

Last edited:
Just a quick side note, my son had his graduation, but 2 days before hand and while playing 5 a side, managed to damaged his knee ligaments so did the ceremony on crutches !

however it was a great day and we all enjoyed it thoroughly

Bravo to him. A great achievement. Feels so good doesn't it.

My son left six form in 2020 and decided to take a year out for travel so deferred his offer. As it was Covid put the stops on any travel so he spend about 10 months working at 5 Guys and learning a lot.

He started his course in October 2021 and has truly enjoyed his first year. He is taking PPE at Corpus Christi, Oxford and decided that next year he will drop the Politics and focus on Economics and Philosophy.

Since he was very young we have had a parental policy of let him figure it out for himself but be sure he knows we are here to support him if he needs it. He has pretty much achieved all this on his own merit. It does make you feel like you did something right as parents and we are so proud of his achievements to date.

Around twenty years ago, I went to my wife's graduation (mature student) for her Masters degree in Biotechnology at Canterbury. I have never been so proud of anything in my life, particularly as I helped her with her notes - crossing the "t's" and dotting the "i's" so to speak. Very emotional and happy day.

Bravo to him. A great achievement. Feels so good doesn't it.

My son left six form in 2020 and decided to take a year out for travel so deferred his offer. As it was Covid put the stops on any travel so he spend about 10 months working at 5 Guys and learning a lot.

He started his course in October 2021 and has truly enjoyed his first year. He is taking PPE at Corpus Christi, Oxford and decided that next year he will drop the Politics and focus on Economics and Philosophy.

Since he was very young we have had a parental policy of let him figure it out for himself but be sure he knows we are here to support him if he needs it. He has pretty much achieved all this on his own merit. It does make you feel like you did something right as parents and we are so proud of his achievements to date.

It does feel good to know that you have helped them achieve their dreams. You do have to let them find their own way in life, don't you, but it can be hard to let go.

My youngest worked in Pizza Express for a couple of year to help make ends meet and his brother worked for a small company that made pizzas for events.

I hope your son does well, you must let us know how he gets on.

Around twenty years ago, I went to my wife's graduation (mature student) for her Masters degree in Biotechnology at Canterbury. I have never been so proud of anything in my life, particularly as I helped her with her notes - crossing the "t's" and dotting the "i's" so to speak. Very emotional and happy day.

I'm sure it was a very happy and proud day, just as we were for both of our lads. They are both better educated and have much higher qualifications than both of their parents, so hopefully we have done something right.

Back