Sony A7Rii and 90mm macro shots

That first is a cracker Mike, The bees suffer I find with black backgrounds because of the amount of black they have,

Lovely set but I wish you hadn't posted those today :D ! I'm agonising over whether to ditch the A6000 I use for macro and go for the A7RII. I know I'll lose that bit of magnification ( use the same lens as you) but I'm wondering whether that will be compensated by combination of all those lovely pixels on an FF sensor with better low light performance.
Those images are superb, such richness and depth of colour, magnificent set.

Lovely set Mike. That first one is a real cracker!

Lovely set but I wish you hadn't posted those today :D ! I'm agonising over whether to ditch the A6000 I use for macro and go for the A7RII. I know I'll lose that bit of magnification ( use the same lens as you) but I'm wondering whether that will be compensated by combination of all those lovely pixels on an FF sensor with better low light performance.
Those images are superb, such richness and depth of colour, magnificent set.
Thanks Laurence :) The A7Rii is a lovely bit of kit - sensational sensor and not expensive (in camera terms!) these days. I bought it mainly for landscape work but it's fine for macro - lots of pixels for cropping and tons of dynamic range in the RAW files. Don't think you would regret it :)

Nice set the first is the best

A couple of Hoverflies from today's walk in the park :)

Just in case anybody is interested - these were shot on Manual mode with Aperture = f20, Shutter 1/250 (ie max flash sync speed), iso=400 and flash on TTL mode to make up the balance. F20 is quite controversial as there is less absolute sharpness due to diffraction but greater depth of field - imho the extra dof is worth it and the sharpness is still acceptable.

Hoverfly (2)
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Hoverfly (1)
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

All excellent images. I'm assuming manual focus too. Hand held or other means of support/stability?
That lens is an absolute killer :) . This is almost giving me an attack of GAS over a HighRes Sony body, don't think I'd get it past the management though!

Thanks Laurence. Autofocus and hand held for me - used to always manual focus but the hit rate was no higher (and dare I say the eyesight is not what it used to be either!). With the extra dof at f20 there's a bit more of a margin for error and the autofocus does a decent enough job imho. Yes the 90mm is a lovely lens - still pretty sharp even at very small apertures and there is tons of resolution in the A7Rii so you can crop away if needed. Recommend it if budget allows!

Really excellent shots especially like the last hoverfly that’s superb nice colours and background

Fabulous images Mike - I have exactly the same set up - cannot fault the sharpness of the 90mm

Les :)

Damn that's close!
Great detail Mike (y)

Back