Sony RX10 iii Macro

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All.

Well I treated myself to a Sony RX10iii recently - 1inch sensor and 24-600 equivalent Zeiss lens. It's a real Swiss Army knife of a camera so I thought I'd stick a Raynox on and see if it could do macro as well as everything else...

Sony RX10iii Macro
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Peek-a-Boo
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Sony RX10iii Macro
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Lighting was via MT24-ex which is great but bulky so I'm going to work on a smaller and lighter replacement next.

Many thanks to Nick (Garnder's Helper) for his expert assistance and encouragement - probably would have given up if he hadn't persuaded me to stick at it :)

Mike, I have the SONY RX10 III. I am having a lot of difficulty doing close-up and MACRO shots. Please tell me what settings you used to get these incredible shots.
And What is a Raynox? Thank you. I am frustrated.

Mike, I missed this. I think they look promising. In terms of not being as good as when using a prime macro lens, I think you have to work harder with post processing with smaller sensor cameras. As you know I wrote about this in my Journey thread.

Do you still have the RX10iii? I am immensely curious about what focal lengths you can use without vignetting with a Raynox 150 or 250 attached. (And I think the RX10iii and iv would be the same in this respect, as I believe they have the same lens.) Maybe I asked you this before. If I did I'm afraid I forgot the answer. :)

Mike, I have the SONY RX10 III. I am having a lot of difficulty doing close-up and MACRO shots. Please tell me what settings you used to get these incredible shots.
And What is a Raynox? Thank you. I am frustrated.

Hi - thanks for the comment and sorry for the slow reply :)

To be honest my recollection is a little bit hazy but I think I used pretty standard macro settings - something like: manual mode + f16 ( to get some depth of field) + 1/200ish shutter + flash. Manual focus also (you can autofocus but it is a bit hit and miss)

The Marumi is essentially a clip on macro lens (a diopter or achromat if you want the technical term) which allows you to get much closer to your subject and still be able to focus - good bit of kit but you will need a step down ring (72-67) to get it to fit to the Sony.

To be honest I found it all a bit fiddly and went back to my Fuji X-T1 for macro after a short period of experimentation but you may have better luck :)

Mike, I missed this. I think they look promising. In terms of not being as good as when using a prime macro lens, I think you have to work harder with post processing with smaller sensor cameras. As you know I wrote about this in my Journey thread.

Do you still have the RX10iii? I am immensely curious about what focal lengths you can use without vignetting with a Raynox 150 or 250 attached. (And I think the RX10iii and iv would be the same in this respect, as I believe they have the same lens.) Maybe I asked you this before. If I did I'm afraid I forgot the answer. :)

Hi Nick - I'm afraid I did not last too long trying macro with the RX10iii and now use it for general walkabout duties and wildlife (for which it is excellent by the way - 600mm equivalent and sharp as a tack at f4)

The Marumi needs a 72-67 step down ring to fit the RX10iii and unfortunately it vignettes most of the way and is only clear from around 500-600mm. I tried a Marumi achromat for a while - which can be bought in a 72mm size so no vignetting but I still found the whole process a bit fiddly. Maybe didn't stick at it long enough.

You may have seen my other thread - my masterplan for this year is to go back to where I started with a 100mm prime (with Raynox if needed) - on the Fuji this time - and try and get some decent lighting sorted out. We shall see :)

Hi Nick - I'm afraid I did not last too long trying macro with the RX10iii and now use it for general walkabout duties and wildlife (for which it is excellent by the way - 600mm equivalent and sharp as a tack at f4)

The Marumi needs a 72-67 step down ring to fit the RX10iii and unfortunately it vignettes most of the way and is only clear from around 500-600mm. I tried a Marumi achromat for a while - which can be bought in a 72mm size so no vignetting but I still found the whole process a bit fiddly. Maybe didn't stick at it long enough.

Thanks for the feedback Mike. It helped confirm my thinking about the RX10iii as a possibility (for me).

You may have seen my other thread - my masterplan for this year is to go back to where I started with a 100mm prime (with Raynox if needed) - on the Fuji this time - and try and get some decent lighting sorted out. We shall see :)

Just read it. I'll be interested to see how it pans out. (Nothing for me to contribute to that thread - no knowledge of Fuji and in any case as you know I prefer setups that give me autofocus. I did think to possibly drop in some minimum aperture shots in response to the last couple of posts, but couldn't decide whether that would be helpful or otherwise, so I didn't.)

Back