High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

These look great. A lot of detail captured in the flowers and dogs.

Lovely shot of a juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker, and impressive through double glazing. Numbers of GSW's have really dropped in our area this year with none nesting in our local Nature Reserve compared to 5 nests 4 years ago!

Still learning, but a few taken over the weekend. All SOC but all cropped. No further PP, although I think some may be needed!!!
Heron across the river

Long Tailed Tit - Juvenile

Our dogs playing rough!

Last edited:
Very good Marcia. How do you find the handling, weight etc?
I find it really good to be honest. Using a harness takes the weight off my neck and distributes it well. I find it comfortable to hold, even with my arthritis and have had no ill effects. My one criticism would be the exposure comp dial, which I find quite stiff but manageable - as long as I can remember the way to turn it instinctively! The manual doesn't make it easy to find certain settings, or how to use them, but I'm getting there!
All in all, I'm really liking it, and it does seem to suit my shooting style, although I haven't had the opportunity for many Bird in Flight shots as yet. I know it won't be perfect, but with practice I'm pretty sure I can get it to give me images that are good enough.

Sounds really positive. Have you trapped your fingers in the reversed lens hood when you switch it off yet? I think it is a great camera and am trying to sell all my other kit, so I'll just have this and the RX100 IV for travelling.

Sounds really positive. Have you trapped your fingers in the reversed lens hood when you switch it off yet? I think it is a great camera and am trying to sell all my other kit, so I'll just have this and the RX100 IV for travelling.
No trapped fingers as yet Glenn, but now you've mentioned it I suspect I'll soon be complaining about it!
I think a lot of the time, for me certainly, camera gear is about compromises, and I think this Sony is the best yet! I'm not ready to give up the FZ1000 just yet though, and may hang on to the Olympus Stylus 1 for its small size and light weight, so that I can have something with me whilst walking the dogs, and see if that's doable! Good luck with the selling of your kit!

My Dad, who is 87, has the RX10 i and the first thing he said when I told him I had the iii was "have you trapped your fingers yet?" I've done it loads of times with the FZ1000 too! I may keep the Panny, but another train of thought is to keep my Panasonic 7-14 lens and buy a used GM1 body so I can still do wide angle stuff. Decisions decisions....

Another panorama, four shots stitched with MS ICE. There was a fifth shot to the right but there was a weird artifact left by the wind moving the giant cow-parsley......
It was taken from Bowden Hill in Wiltshire in fairly miserable weather so the distance isn't as clear as in Mike's pano. I might see if the haze-removal in PSE14 is worth the money.

bowden%20hill.jpg

Another nice panorama! No opportunity for a decent one around here - not enough of interest to warrant one!!

And your really diverse set of images just shows how versatile this camera is! I have to say the one of the Swallows is pretty special and one you should be really proud of!

Thanks Marcia. I love this camera! and yes, I'm pretty pleased with the swallows too.

I use Lightroom 6.6 (stand alone version) and PS Elements 10. I enjoy PP so yes, these are processed.

Anyone know if any stock is available on this camera.. anywhere in the uk? Just about to go on holiday and it looks like a great choice. Many thanks

Anyone know if any stock is available on this camera.. anywhere in the uk? Just about to go on holiday and it looks like a great choice. Many thanks

Marcia got lucky by phoning around but no-one is admitting to having any stock and there's no date for stock coming back into the country.

Glen these are great! Share your thoughts on the variety - it's tantalisingly close to the photographer's dream of one camera to do it all :)

Thanks, this really is the 'do it all' camera as far as I'm concerned and I'm delighted to say has replaced all this, except I have an RX100 IV for light travelling. I'm considering keeping my Panasonic 7-14 and getting a GM1 for extreme wide angle.

gear_zps0f2a6965.jpg

Last edited:
I still think it's a bit expensive, but if it replaces all that........
I'm waiting on the DL 24-500 whenever that may appear??

Last edited:
Thanks, this really is the 'do it all' camera as far as I'm concerned and I'm delighted to say has replaced all this, except I have an RX100 IV for light travelling. I'm considering keeping my Panasonic 7-14 and getting a GM1 for extreme wide angle.

gear_zps0f2a6965.jpg
Wow - that's some rationalisation! I have a Fuji XT1 which I use with a UWA for landscape work - it's a great setup but I could see it being marginalised by the Sony :)

I still think it's a bit expensive, but if it replaces all that........
I'm waiting on the DL 24-500 whenever that may appear??
Much later this year at best. The only area where it's likely to be better than the RX10 III is AF speed.

Much later this year at best. The only area where it's likely to be better than the RX10 III is AF speed.
It will equal in IQ , Nikon always been great at that, touch screen something amiss on the rx ( cop out Imo) and a dam site cheaper, AF better I'll take that to. Sony alway over price and overrated imo
Not saying it isn't a great camera, but at that price for a inch sensor? No thanks
All its really impressive in is video and there's equal and cheaper out there, iq wise it's no better than the original, well maybe slightly and that's questionable and that's disappeared in value, point and shoots go for more.

Last edited:
I was originally going to wait for the Nikon too, but as it was originally delayed due to sensor problems I didn't want to be one of the first adopters when it came out. So that would have meant waiting till at least next year. I saw this thread, saw the stunning results, decided I liked the idea of a longer lens, and then wondered how much the Nikon would actually cost when it is eventually released what with the way the £ is going. Having been lucky enough to find one, I couldn't be happier with my decision. But then we're all different!

I was originally going to wait for the Nikon too, but as it was originally delayed due to sensor problems I didn't want to be one of the first adopters when it came out. So that would have meant waiting till at least next year. I saw this thread, saw the stunning results, decided I liked the idea of a longer lens, and then wondered how much the Nikon would actually cost when it is eventually released what with the way the £ is going. Having been lucky enough to find one, I couldn't be happier with my decision. But then we're all different!
Well that's it each to their, it does take great pics and it's about you and what suits you, I'll still wait for Nikon as it's £500 cheaper, I don't think they'll change the price, they've lost enough already

Weird Artifacts in bokeh

Just looking through some pics from yesterday and spotted this:

SON03188_zpskm5irnq4.jpg

Well that's it each to their, it does take great pics and it's about you and what suits you, I'll still wait for Nikon as it's £500 cheaper, I don't think they'll change the price, they've lost enough already
I apologise, as obviously I was only speculating as regards the price.

Back