High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Looks a bit like what ever it is could be reflecting from the lens elements,lets hope its just one of those silly things you couldn't repeat if you tried.

Another bee....600mm equivalent

SON03250_zpssq2bdual.jpg
[/

QUOTE]

That's pretty impressive for 600mm. Anyway I can see the exif please ?

Last edited:
Nice Panos. Here are a few from this morning. It amazes me that this variety can be achieved without changing lenses:

SON03042-Edit_zpsuv4ljxsn.jpg

SON02954-Edit_zpswqfceu94.jpg

SON03334-Edit_zpspiuirbvn.jpg

[
SON03296-Edit_zpsf0metudv.jpg

SON03142-Edit_zpsfga2nghp.jpg

SON03112-Edit_zpso1duxeph.jpg

SON03104-Edit_zpsk6nkkjj3.jpg

Flipping heck, the picture of the swallow is amazing!! What is the focus like then? I've got an FZ200, and that's not as quick as my 70"D and 100-400... Would you ditch the dslr and lens for this? Wildlife is my main thing, and then all the rest on top!

Flipping heck, the picture of the swallow is amazing!! What is the focus like then? I've got an FZ200, and that's not as quick as my 70"D and 100-400... Would you ditch the dslr and lens for this? Wildlife is my main thing, and then all the rest on top!

Thanks. I have ditched my DSLR and my M4/3 kit for the RX10 III. Focus is not as good as either of them but acceptable for the type of shooting I do. I was prefocussed on the baby swallow whose parent was flying around collecting bugs so I just managed to catch it passing the bug on, without the need for the camera to focus quickly. You can work round most things but birds in flight is particularly challenging with the Sony.

That certainly shows what this camera is capable of Glenn! A lovely moody image, which I think benefits from the lighter sky and clouds!

Hmm I see... Bloody impressive!!!

A quick grab shot of one of the baby Blackbirds from a second brood. They'd only fledged 2 days previously! This one was hidden in the undergrowth, very dark and dingy but it was lovely to see!

That's very nice Marcia, great comp', well exposed, and plenty of detail.(y)

George.

Here are a trio from Bowden Hill (same place as my earlier panorama). The church is an ugly little Victorian effort, probably an estate church for part of the Bowood estate.

DSC00343.JPG

DSC00341.JPG

DSC00346.JPG

It didn't suit me as I got dampened as I walked back to the car.....
Here are a few more from Sunday although taken with the M2 rather than the M3 - I was reasonably confident I wouldn't need more than 200mm so chose the lighter option.

DSC00309.JPG
DSC00360.JPG

DSC00362.JPG
DSC00381.JPG

Thanks. I have ditched my DSLR and my M4/3 kit for the RX10 III. Focus is not as good as either of them but acceptable for the type of shooting I do. I was prefocussed on the baby swallow whose parent was flying around collecting bugs so I just managed to catch it passing the bug on, without the need for the camera to focus quickly. You can work round most things but birds in flight is particularly challenging with the Sony.
@Glenn, I'm thinking along similar lines to you and am considering 'dumping' my DSLR kit for the new RX10 mkiii (if there are any available in the near future)I already own the original RX10 which I love using but I'm a bit nervous so I just wondered if you are still convinced you did the right thing when you put all your eggs into the mkiii basket?
I'm getting tired of carrying loads of kit around and find myself taking the Sony with me a lot more these days.

I bought my original RX10 when it was released and, a year later, sold my D7100, etc. as I just wasn't using it any more. Most of the time I've been happy with a maximum of 200mm with CIZ giving 400mm if needed but I have a shot in mind that 400mm wasn't enough for so I'm looking forward to the roads across Salisbury Plain opening in two weeks time so I can deploy the M3 and nail that shot.

@Glenn, I'm thinking along similar lines to you and am considering 'dumping' my DSLR kit for the new RX10 mkiii (if there are any available in the near future)I already own the original RX10 which I love using but I'm a bit nervous so I just wondered if you are still convinced you did the right thing when you put all your eggs into the mkiii basket?
I'm getting tired of carrying loads of kit around and find myself taking the Sony with me a lot more these days.

Hi, I have no regrets in moving my m4/3 gear on. I now have the RX10 iii and the RX100 iv. I never need to change a lens and to be honest I don't suffer from GAS every time some new lens that I can't afford comes along. It won't fit my camera, so I don't need it! You can judge the quality from my images but if you are 'nervous' of changing, ask yourself why? are you a pro whose clients demand the ultimate in quality, do you produce massive prints, do you enter high level competitions where quality is everything (actually that's not true, I came second in a worldwide competition a couple of years back with a 10Mp image) I don't print much and view my photos on a 27" iMac and there is nothing wrong with the images from both Sonys, as long as you don't pixel peep. I'v had to train myself not to do it and it is quite unnecessary. You wouldn't take a powerful magnifying glass to a print, so why search in the depths of your image on screen?

I guess it comes down to what you shoot but for me, with an interest in travel, landscapes, architecture and aviation, the RX10 iii really does it all for me. Good luck with your decision (or even finding and RX10 iii ! )

I bought my original RX10 when it was released and, a year later, sold my D7100, etc. as I just wasn't using it any more. Most of the time I've been happy with a maximum of 200mm with CIZ giving 400mm if needed but I have a shot in mind that 400mm wasn't enough for so I'm looking forward to the roads across Salisbury Plain opening in two weeks time so I can deploy the M3 and nail that shot.
Thank you for the endorsement.

Hi, I have no regrets in moving my m4/3 gear on. I now have the RX10 iii and the RX100 iv. I never need to change a lens and to be honest I don't suffer from GAS every time some new lens that I can't afford comes along. It won't fit my camera, so I don't need it! You can judge the quality from my images but if you are 'nervous' of changing, ask yourself why? are you a pro whose clients demand the ultimate in quality, do you produce massive prints, do you enter high level competitions where quality is everything (actually that's not true, I came second in a worldwide competition a couple of years back with a 10Mp image) I don't print much and view my photos on a 27" iMac and there is nothing wrong with the images from both Sonys, as long as you don't pixel peep. I'v had to train myself not to do it and it is quite unnecessary. You wouldn't take a powerful magnifying glass to a print, so why search in the depths of your image on screen?

I guess it comes down to what you shoot but for me, with an interest in travel, landscapes, architecture and aviation, the RX10 iii really does it all for me. Good luck with your decision (or even finding and RX10 iii ! )
Thank you Glenn, you have more or less reinforced my thoughts - I've been suffering major GAS attacks for a few years now since I went seriously into DSLR but more recently using the RX10, I have diversified into other subjects and I've enjoyed my photography a lot more for this.
I had been photographing birds & wildlife in the main, but to be honest the passion has diminished over the past 12 months and I've been experimenting with more general photography, landscape & architecture and pretty much anything that interests me. This has resulted in my enthusiasm returning and the DSLR hasn't had much of a look in.
Now that Sony have increased the range to 600mm equivalent with the mkiii, it's still possible to get some decent shots of wildlife if the chance presents itself from what I've seen. I also like the idea of not having to swap lenses constantly when a great sunset appears or a small insect catches my eye.
I have followed the thread here and looked around at other people's work with this camera and reached the conclusion that it would certainly do a job for me and cut down on all the baggage that's crushed my passion recently. I did mess with m43 briefly last year but that wasn't for me so it went.
I'm not a pro, never likely to be either so given the success and enjoyment I've had with the original RX10, I'm pretty sure that the mkiii will only be better going forward.
I actually won 2 competitions with shots taken with a Canon SX 50 HS, not national ones admittedly but there was some stiff competition nevertheless.
I'm happy to wait until the mkiii is more readily available but have my mind made up now that I will get one eventually and the DSLR can go.
I'll keep watching here to see more of yours and other folks efforts and am very impressed with what I've seen so far.

Arfur Panorama - this is most of three frames out of a seven frame panorama that I took last Saturday. Merging them in PSE14 threw up an undocumented(?) limit of 30,000 pixels which all seven frames together exceeded. In the process of trying to diagnose the problem I made pans of frames 1-4 and 5-7. I thought the 5-7 pan stood up well by itself with a little trimmed off the right so here it is. I subsequently found I'd trimmed enough to be able to merge the two part pans in PSE......

DSC00416-pan.jpg

Been a bit quiet in here lately, so here are a few from Edinburgh Airport (photographing aircraft is the main reason I bought this camera)

SON04284-Edit_zpsy9jroxce.jpg

SON04330-Edit_zpshjw29tvm.jpg

SON04275-Edit_zps7sapwayn.jpg

SON04423-Edit_zpstxnlrw0s.jpg

This is King Abdullah of Jordan leaving Edinburgh after being a guest at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo

SON04449-Edit_zpsf7bvokpv.jpg

or maybe this is, there were two identical aircraft

Last edited:
Just noticed the RX10 III is now £1549 at WEX, Jessops, Park Cameras but they don't have stock

Quick'n'dirty three-shot hand-held panorama taken this morning in Colyton, Devon and stitched in PSE14. Mrs S said 'Take a shot of that landscape with the sheep as it's not like Wiltshire'. I couldn't see a single shot that wasn't boring but thought a simple pan was more interesting.

colyton-pan.jpg

I can't believe the recent price hike by Sony !
I know the pound has dropped since brexit, but a hike of 10 percent is far too steep. I was waiting for stock to arrive, but think I'll wait and see what happens to the exchange rate for a bit, at £1549 the mkiii is starting to look over priced.

I can't believe the recent price hike by Sony !
I know the pound has dropped since brexit, but a hike of 10 percent is far too steep. I was waiting for stock to arrive, but think I'll wait and see what happens to the exchange rate for a bit, at £1549 the mkiii is starting to look over priced.
I was I n a similar position myself, waiting for stock as I really wanted an mkiii but at over £1500, I'm going to see what happens in the future as I think it's over priced at that.
I'll stick with my original RX10 and see if prices drop when there are more of the mkiii's available.

Lovely set Glenn. Although sunny now our garden seems devoid of any butterflies or bees. Unfriendly lot, considering we garden with them in mind!
And as to the new price of the MKIII - forget 10% price rise, that's nearly 25%. I was so lucky to find what seems like the last one in the country last month at the lower price. The world's gone mad!!

Hi Marcia, Thanks for the comments. I walked for about an hour this afternoon and only saw those two butterflies. Loads of bees though. I'd think twice about paying the new price for the iii, glad I got mine when I did but it really does a good job of replacing everything I had before.

Back