South Dock

I'd lose 50% of the sky and 50% of the water.

Maybe a square crop?

Loving this - great lines and I like the conversion, although I might have gone a bit brighter. My kind of shot entirely though.

Whereabouts are you taking this from ? In the Canary Wharf area itself or elsewhere ?

Loving this - great lines and I like the conversion, although I might have gone a bit brighter. My kind of shot entirely though.

Whereabouts are you taking this from ? In the Canary Wharf area itself or elsewhere ?
I wasn't sure whether it was too dark either. I've gone both lighter and darker and I'm not sure where the ideal point it.

Yes, this is near Canary Wharf. I was on Thames Quay shooting north west. Very few people so easy to set up. Depending on how many boats are moored on the river you can probably shoot a little wider on the left of the frame and include the footbridge which is quite pretty. Unfortunately there is a building going up on the right which isn't close to being photogenic yet.

Now I have a camera again will have to get up that way...
It is off the Canary Wharf area but I'm not sure whether photo permits are still needed or whether they would object to tripods if you were spotted. I got everything sorted out handheld - focus, exposure and filters - so only took a few seconds to set the camera on the tripod and take the shot. The place is full of photo opportunities though. I was really there to do some of the Jubilee Line tube stations.

I must admit that I'm not a fan of long exposures - I much prefer the water with reflections in your "old version" - the smooth water just looks bland.

I agree the top is too "tight" in the old version, but the water looks nicer. I'd prefer somewhere between the two.

I really like the first image it’s quite minimal.

I’ve shot from there myself it’s a nice area with plenty of stuff around to shoot.

I prefer your original. But then I like really contrasty images.

I agree with the comment above about the water looking too smooth. At first glance I thought you'd balanced your camera on a wall and we could see the wall in the bottom of the shot.

The second shot is better, but not keen on the still water though.

Well, it is a dock so the water is pretty still unless there is a gale blowing, but given the buildings are pretty noisy and detailed I am pleased the sky and water don't distract as this was what I was going for. Better reflections like in the second shot might have been better but there was nothing that day.

I prefer your original. But then I like really contrasty images.

I agree with the comment above about the water looking too smooth. At first glance I thought you'd balanced your camera on a wall and we could see the wall in the bottom of the shot.

I am still not convinced it is too smooth, more that I've not balanced the tones right between the two halves. That might be why you thought it was a wall. I think the water needs to be a little darker nearer the buildings. It might be hard to see on the little posted version but there is a decent amount of detail from ripples in the water.

Back