Non UK South East France

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
Off camping for a fortnight in August, staying just outside of Grasse.
Looking for a few locations to shoot, especially coastal ones.
Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Neil

When I stayed there the campsite owner insisted to take la route á Castellane - she was right.
There's some spectacular river gorges not far inland too... not coastal. :rolleyes:

When I stayed there the campsite owner insisted to take la route á Castellane - she was right.
There's some spectacular river gorges not far inland too... not coastal. :rolleyes:

Route Napoleon, very nice drive, and I guesss you are talking about the gorge verdon also known as the Grand Canyon of Europe.

I reckon Neil would like Antibes somehow, I went there so long ago I can't think of any specific seascapes like he'd normally go for but the old town is very nice and far better than Cannes or nice.

You really need to go Chamonix. Head up the Aiguille du Midi in the afternoon with a 70-200 and pick up the details of the Mont Blanc Massif. I'd also recommend taking the Flegere and shooting over to the Mont Blanc Massif.

I'm a reflection chaser and would recommend some lakes but that might not be Neils thing but no-one couldn't enjoy Chamonix.

I'd also recommend the town of Annecy and Sisteron as interesting places to visit. The actual town in the Riveria I think is worth a shout Avignon but the Antibes/Cannes/Nice/Villefranche are quite built up so I tend to stay away from it but they're coastal so you can take the type of pictures you take so well.

Last edited:
Hi
I would try Ramatuelle its a place on top of a hill on the coast, you can not take a car into the main bit, park up on the out side and walk in.
Hyeres is near the coast and was where Queen Vic went for her Hols, its about 5 mins from the coast, i go there each year now my 25th year on the trot.
Follow the signs for the airport and that takes you to the sea.
Aix-en-Provence is a nice place not near the coast but ok.
Avignon is a nice place but dose get over run in the summer been loads of times best park up near the river car parks and walk in through the city walls only a few mins walk from the car parks.
Aim that way in Hyere in Oct next.
You will see some photos on my flickr page the paul876 one.
Hope helps
Paul

Last edited:
Neil, I live in this region and some of those places are nice but not that close to Grasse.
Gorge du Verdon is a belter and as said the Alps too.
There is the coastal road near to me that has red rocks, very nice for the sunrise/set scenes.
There is a beautiful village called Gourdon (near grasse) stunning place and there is also a Bison park near that too.
Failing all that.......
Maybe a cuppa with me one day also :)

Last edited:
Lavender will be long gone by the time Neil arrives in August.

That's true. Maybe I've said it because I am salivating at the prospect of going for a very long drive involving a ferry (2 more return trips left to use up). I could very well use my own advice :)

There’s a spot between Agay and St Raphael which has a great coastline and there’s the ile d’or just out to sea with a castle built on it, I think the closest place is La Dramont. I’ve shot it a couple of times years and years ago, but that would be my choice first of all.
Cap de l’esterel is a really scenic area, I used to do a lot of hiking around there and the coastline is pretty unspoilt and wild and has beautiful red rock, I reckon that may be up your street. There are also some lovely bays east of St Aygulf as well.
As others have said, the alps would be great and access by car to the Mercantour and places like Madone de Fenestre offers up some stunning scenery and not too far of a drive from Grasse.
Enjoy your trip, it’s a special part of the world

Thank you all for your location suggestions and fingers crossed will have enough spare time to shoot a couple of them.
Graham, appreciate the invite, I'll be in touch!

Cheers again

Back