Spanish marbled white

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
I've just come back from a Week in the Algarve. These butterflies were everywhere on the common land near where I was staying but they rairly settle for a moment. I managed this on my last day there. It's not perfect but having been given the runaround by them all week it was a high to come home on.

Spanish marbled white by Jannyfox, on Flickr

How did u ever get a photo of a butterfly did it take long

Beautiful and the background shows it off nicely

Thank you one and all. I assure you it was pure luck that got this shot - no skill involved whatsoever. I was there at least once a day every day of my stay. Several times I had one on the ground that flew as the shutter fired - too many times for coincidence but how would they know? The mysteries of the butterfly world! If only persistence would pay off for the azure winged magpies...................

How did u ever get a photo of a butterfly did it take long

The clever answer is not long at all - 1/160th second to be precise. The real answer by is taking the time to watch them. See how they're flying and where they settle (if they settle) and on what type of plant. Then try to put yourself near where the butterfly settles. If you see it settle any distance away and go to it, it'll probably fly before you get there, especially if you brush the vegatation or let your shadow fall across it. Sometimes if it's a butterfly I haven't photographed before I take a shot as soon as I see it even if it's too far away or partly hidden. Then as I try to get into a good position I take more shots, then if it flies at least I have something. Even then getting a really good shot is luck - for me anyway. I'm no expert!

Great shot though I think it might need a bit of cropping, theres a little too much empty space on either side. I personally might crop it from the left so there is just empty space on the right just to frame it a bit better - but thats just my thoughts.

Great shot though I think it might need a bit of cropping, theres a little too much empty space on either side. I personally might crop it from the left so there is just empty space on the right just to frame it a bit better - but thats just my thoughts.

It's not cropped down much from the original. It's my personal preference to leave some space as I can always zoom in for a closer look. I keep forgetting that the rest of you can't do that - a case of I need to think about having an image for myself and another for everyone else. I wanted to leave the flower heads to the left in for context. So much to think about..................!

Back