Wild Sparrowhawk (Baited)

Baited with a Goldfinch?

Sparrowhawk (Baited).

So how did you bait it?

I actually did think that putting baited most on here would know it was from a hide that was baited to attract the subject ..i accept that we do have some new members who would not be aware ....

It's a beautiful shot by the way, the sharpness and colours are amazing.

WHats not to like about this shot, Its superb.

I actually did think that putting baited most on here would know it was from a hide that was baited to attract the subject ..i accept that we do have some new members who would not be aware ....
I think most people would know what a baited hide is but baited with a Goldfinch seemed an unusual concept ... never seen a dead Goldfinch personally.

I think most people would know what a baited hide is but baited with a Goldfinch seemed an unusual concept ... never seen a dead Goldfinch personally.

Me too!

I have seen dead Goldfiches,Chaffinches,Robins,Dunnocks ,blue tits ,Rooks ,Crows ,Magpies ,Great Tits ,Seagulls ,Dunnocks,Sparrows,Barn Owls ,Little owls ,Pied wagtails ,Kingfishers and those are just what i can recal from the top of my head that i have seen dead in the last few years...

That really is a cracking picture (y)

I was under the impression that sparrowhawks wouldn't take dead food, you learn something new everyday :)

Really good image Den regardless of how you achieved it :) I want to use a hide sometime over the winter as just dont have the time to stake out areas and enjoy watching wildlife so anything you could recommend would be appreciated (happy for you to PM details)

That really is a cracking picture (y)

I was under the impression that sparrowhawks wouldn't take dead food, you learn something new everyday :)
that is one major problem with birds of prey, they will take carrion when possible, thats how most get poisoned , if it was attended for foxes
or other rodents, birds eat carrion, birds die. still large numbers of birds of prey die this way on big shooting estates, and avoid prosecution .sad.

Den ,do you know how old this bird is ? Stunning images.stunning bird wow that has some colour and that comes with age......... or is that a myth mate?

I have no probs with using a dead beastie to feed another,much as I adore me goldies circle of life an all that.:)

That is one gorgeous bird Den beautifully captured

stu

wow that has some colour and that comes with age......... or is that a myth mate?
That's an adult male, (Musket) the colours do come with age, although the Spars (Females) stay brown.
Juveniles ( of both sexes) have heart shaped patterns on their chest, folklore says there is 147 (iirc) one for each baby bird that died, so the S/H could fledge.

Cracking images Den (y)

That's an adult male, (Musket) the colours do come with age, although the Spars (Females) stay brown.
Juveniles ( of both sexes) have heart shaped patterns on their chest, folklore says there is 147 (iirc) one for each baby bird that died, so the S/H could fledge.

Cracking images Den (y)
cheers mate chris I was under the impression that each year older more colour shows,if this is true is it possible to id age or can we only say it is an adult?

knew about musket and spar and also about the feathers and kids always wanted to fly BOP's mate from childhood so have some knowledge not much it must be said but I bit

cheers mucker

stu

Only my observations but I've noticed that some young males have white spots on their backs that disappear with age

Den ,do you know how old this bird is ? Stunning images.stunning bird wow that has some colour and that comes with age......... or is that a myth mate?

I have no probs with using a dead beastie to feed another,much as I adore me goldies circle of life an all that.:)

That is one gorgeous bird Den beautifully captured

stu
Hi Stu, my knowledge on the sparrow hawk I limited but I see Chris is given you and myself some good info

each year older more colour shows,
Most raptor's feathers do darken with age ( no idea if this happens with all birds) as does the eye in the musket, becoming orange, but as far as I am aware that doesn't happen at any given age.

but I've noticed that some young males have white spots on their backs that disappear with age
Absolutely, usually disappearing after the first ( or second latest) moult

Back