Sparrowhawk with whats left of a Goldfinch

Lol. :LOL:

I may get this image at my hide soon, had the sparrowhawk in again yesterday, but I was in the kitchen. :banghead: I think it would be a project within itself so we'll see. I've not been brave enough to bait the perch with a weaner rat yet (we have pet snakes) but maybe one day.

When I saw the thumbnail on the homepage, I thought it might be Mad Max, but I'm guessing not.

A beauty of an image, sharp and lovely mashed BG, it's spot on. (y)

I used to love a challenge and a project constantly thinking up new setups and ideas ,different light and weather conditions ..My wife believes my projects were a obsession and since giving up full time and taking a step back I am inclined to believe her but boy what I have learned I will always have in my head...it’s very difficult getting something different out of wildlife photography that already as not been done , I am a great believer that if you can form some kind of connection with your subject the results should speak for themselves...To me and this is just my opinion baiting a subject is the only way to lay that foundation for future successful shots and that comes with time luck patience and having the energy to push the shutter button at the right time ...

My wife thinks I'm mad, sitting in a "cold and damp" shed for hours on end. It's not just about getting the images though, sometimes I sit back and just watch, you can take a lot onboard by doing that, even becoming familiar with flightpaths etc, even down to individual bird's habits. I'm currently swarmed with goldfinches, too many to count now, word must be spreading but they are relatively at ease, they know I'm there but they tolerate me to an extent, the "connection" you mention maybe.

I've never baited at my own hide, not through choice though really, although I am still researching it, I just don't think 'my' sparrowhawk is frequent enough to warrant it at the moment but maybe I'm wrong. Birds seem to have an extra sense when it comes to food and I'm quite certain she'd soon find it, we'll see. We rescued two corn snakes a few years ago (long story) and their food would make great bait, they are dead and frozen on purchase weaner rats.

I've always respected your work Den, sorry to see you stepping back.

I started out just watching and taking in all I could of what the birds got up to , that made the photography easy for me...I am still watching local barn owls and little owls and it’s nice to just do that watch for a change back to how I started

great shot Den

I used to love a challenge and a project constantly thinking up new setups and ideas ,different light and weather conditions ..My wife believes my projects were a obsession and since giving up full time and taking a step back I am inclined to believe her but boy what I have learned I will always have in my head...it’s very difficult getting something different out of wildlife photography that already as not been done , I am a great believer that if you can form some kind of connection with your subject the results should speak for themselves...To me and this is just my opinion baiting a subject is the only way to lay that foundation for future successful shots and that comes with time luck patience and having the energy to push the shutter button at the right time ...

fabulous Den simply that. I pulled the post above to Dale because in part I disagree with the above, and in fact i wanted to draw attention to the bit I do agree with completely I don't think bait is the only way to building that connection,the other way is simply being able to be there especially with a young animal growing up.....if they always have known the image maker ,then that connection, the bones of it, are in place already without any need for food.

All said and done your connection with wildlife is why you make the images you do Den, leastways in my humble opinion. It's that profound knowledge plus that special thing" connection" is a great word,that puts an image maker in a place with a relaxed subject to find something different image wise . Wildlife photography is about that connection for me Den,I don't really know what to call it to show it's significance but it's everything.

I'd have of agreed completely about bait bar a couple of little hare kids Den I really would, I have no probs with bait,be it for me goldie or the musket that needs his dinner none at all.But tis not the only way he said smiling 'cause you know this anyway:)

Lovely image Den belter of a bird too the older they get the more stunning,

Forgive me jumping in that connection you speak of needed hi lighting in my view it is so different making images when that intangible is in place !!

take care

stu

Back