Speaker Stands Spike (help)

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Got some new stands for my new speakers. Can anyone tell me why the spike would come off so you are left with just the cone?

The spike screws in and out for height adjustment.

It comes off if you unscrew it too far.

It's just made that way for cost.

The spike screws in and out for height adjustment.

It comes off if you unscrew it too far.

It's just made that way for cost.

ahh, ok. Thanks.

Do you know if the spikes or best for carpet or is there something out there that wont damage the carpet?

Carpet spikes are usually sharper than those.

A neat trick, if the looks are acceptable, is to buy 2 granite chopping boards from Asda.

£10 each, or £60 from your Hifi shop.

There are also spike cups. Look on e-bay

Spikes are used on carpet on solid floors you take them off, thats the theory anyway

The screws are fixed in the base so can't really take them off.

Got them from Richer Sounds, Mission Stancette Stands.

Carpet spikes are usually sharper than those.

A neat trick, if the looks are acceptable, is to buy 2 granite chopping boards from Asda.

£10 each, or £60 from your Hifi shop.

There are also spike cups. Look on e-bay

I have feet similar to these for my spiked hifi/av gear stands

mBCpQqw-mBdayRhI9x89s9w.jpg

Last edited:
From when I had them, as has been said, the spikes are for carpet so they go through and hit the floor boards, giving a deeper sound (and more stability), whereas they are removable or have covers over the spikes (if sharp) so as not to damage wooden floors...

The neat trick of the granite blocks works well - also worth while (if you have one reasonably close) is to contact a place that sells granite / cuts it as sometimes they have off cuts...

I'm not that cheap! (I used 10p pieces!)

What if you have spent loads of money on new carpet last year and don't want to use spikes

I used offcuts left behind from when the carpet was fitted.

What if you have spent loads of money on new carpet last year and don't want to use spikes

1. They won't (a tiny hole won't ruin a carpet as much as a larger area of crushed pile will)
2. Use pennies
3. Don't use them

:)

speaker spikes are to separate the speaker box from the floor to avoid unwanted resonance and to allow the speaker to be in free space generally.
you can also use spikes to stabilise the speaker better epically in older uneven wooden floors. if you mount a speaker flat on carpet then unless it is very heavy or sand filled it will simply wobble and blur. personally I was never a fan of large floor standing speakers with spikes. I allways had better results with really good stands with spikes and then further more with a high quality stand mounted speaker also spiked to the stands.

my fave combination was Atacama SE24s with my older B and W CDM-2s which I still have as bookshelf speakers.

Hello, yes I'd like to buy a gramophone please.
A gramophone? Dont think we've got any of those in Grandad.
Well, whats that then?
That? It's a trio automatic cap direct drive automatic turntable unless Im very much mistaken.
Whats the difference between that and a gramophone?
Oooo about 30 years and a plastic cover to you chief.
Well I'd like one of those please.
Certainly. Well it's got all the speeds, 33, 45...
Yes, what do I do with my old 78's?
What did you say?
Nothing.
Ok, so you ve got your turntable. Do you want an amp?
Uh, no I won't.
<explosive laughter>
You wont hear anything without an amp chief.
Oh, yes. Of course I want an amp.
Good, good. so what sort of output are we looking at?
What have you got?
No, no clues.
Ah. Oh I should think about medium?
etc
Do you want a bag on your head?
Yes.
etc

Anyway time to take my medicine again.

What speakers are they?

Back