Speed limit signs

Name
pretty obvious really.
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve recently noticed around where I live quite a lot of speed limit signs have been changed with tape or a marker pen to make the 0 look like a Q and wondering whats going on.

'Q' for quarantine, perhaps???

Kids with no decent local outlet for easily modifiable signs... The signs to Shilbottle in Northumberland used to get an additional crosspiece added to a letter all the time when I was a lad...

Q ANON?

Many years ago I read a filler article about a small Eastern European country, where they had a novel method of stamping out minor vandalism like this. On the principle that the offenders were most likely to be teenagers, everyone in the affected area aged from 13 to 19 had to turn out after school/work to clean up the damage. It seems, that after a couple of such episodes, the problem went away, which I'm sure had nothing to do with the black eyes observed on some of the teenagers... :wideyed: :naughty:

I think it is to try to confuse cars with traffic sign / speed limit recognition cameras. I don’t see the point though.

Kids with no decent local outlet for easily modifiable signs... The signs to Shilbottle in Northumberland used to get an additional crosspiece added to a letter all the time when I was a lad...
You can imagine what they used to do with the "Uckington" signs in Gloucestershire.....

I’ve recently noticed around where I live quite a lot of speed limit signs have been changed with tape or a marker pen to make the 0 look like a Q and wondering whats going on.
I stil think it’s Q Anon, 1 in 4 here believe some of the nonsense. It’s like being back in the Middle Ages :( :

Even if it is QAnon the signs will still be recognised as speed limit signs by drivers because of their red circular border, overall size, street furniture style and location. A Q-defaced sign will just be dismissed as a mandatory speed restriction sign that some idiot has done some small scale* modification to. Most of the populace don't know what QAnon is anyway.

* I haven't seen any photos of the defaced signs.

If someone is caught it could be very serious for them as the courts will take the view that they are interfering with public safety and that lives could be lost as a direct result < That might sound extreme but that's how prosecutors initially present cases.

Last edited:
Most of the populace don't know what QAnon is anyway.

Thats why I find it hard to believe your average feral vandal is intelligent enough to think this is funny, they more than likely have no idea such a system exists so who is doing it.

Thats why I find it hard to believe your average feral vandal is intelligent enough to think this is funny, they more than likely have no idea such a system exists so who is doing it.

.... Banksy?

The only photos I have seen of the 'Q' have been in the Sheffield area and really just look like a short streak of dirt has hit the sign.

Well that link I posted:

While 6% of those polled claimed to support QAnon, larger percentages supported broader, linked conspiracies. A quarter (25%) agreed that “secret satanic cults exist and include influential elites”. This rose to 35% among people aged 18-24. A similar proportion (26%) agreed that “elites in Hollywood, politics, the media and other powerful positions” are secretly engaging in large-scale child trafficking and abuse.

There was more support (29%) for the claim that there is “a single group of people who secretly control events and rule the world together” regardless of who is in government. This was believed by 42% of 25- to 34-year-olds.

(my bold)

6% might be enough to produce some sign vandalises. Very high numbers among the young:(.

You can imagine what they used to do with the "Uckington" signs in Gloucestershire.....

Small village in Austria has issues with it's signs being stolen by Brits....

Same village gave it's name to a beer, of the light style 'Hell' .....regulators tried to stop it being sold and failed.

Back