Spider Behaviour - Anybody Know What's Happening in this Picture?

It is molting! What looks like a spider to the left is it's old exoskeleton and the the one on the right is the new spider. It is amazing to watch I have two Tarantulas and it is fascinating to watch as the exoskeleton ends up as a perfect replica of the spider, fangs and all.

It is molting! What looks like a spider to the left is it's old exoskeleton and the the one on the right is the new spider. It is amazing to watch I have two Tarantulas and it is fascinating to watch as the exoskeleton ends up as a perfect replica of the spider, fangs and all.

Ah OK thanks for the info. Very interesting. I used to hate spiders but the more I learn the more I like them.

I knew it was an exoskeleton but just thought it was a dead spider next to another live one. Your explanation makes more sense!

Any ideas how long it take with house spiders? I'm just wondering if I can keep it away from the other half and the Hoover...

Last edited:
Any ideas how long it take with house spiders? I'm just wondering if I can keep it away from the other half and the Hoover...

In Tarantulas the molting stage takes several hours then the recovery can be up to a week but that was with a spider the size of my hand (salmon pink toe tarantula) as for your spider which looks like a black lace weaver (amaurobius similis) they are more active and tend to be out and about a few hours after the process.

OK that's good news.

Edit: Just as I was typing...HOW_2573.JPG

Last edited:
Back