Spider identity please...

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these when on hols recently in Cyprus... but forgot about them until looking through LR yesterday I saw them again and wondered what they were.

They looked quite nasty, and were also a little aggressive - well I guess with a macro lens in the faces it's not surprising eh!

Anyway - I appreciate the images are not the best, but anyone have an ID please..?

spider22.jpg

spider11.jpg

Don't know their name but they're quite aggresive little things, we have a lot of them on the oleanders in our garden here. That looks like it might be an oleander that it's on in you pic too. When you get close they rear up wave their front legs at you, really amusing (for us anyway).

Hi Chuckurbarla.... do you know if they are poisonous critters...? They were indeed aggressive things and did exactly as you said - they raised their front legs when I went too close. I have a few images of one doing this, but am just off out for a few hours - will post later.

Lovely shot of a crab spider they hide on flowers and ambush insects that land to feed, longer front legs then hind legs are used for catching them. (y)

Yeah, just finished googling and came up with Crab Spider too. Not poisonous to humans (much), bite just stings a bit :D.

Isnt it wonderful. What lovely colouring, such a nice change from bog-standard BROWN! (y)

Back