Spiral stairway

S

stupar

The Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh has a really nice small spiral stairway that i have always thought would make a great photo subject.
Its hard to get a clean shot of it at the best of times however yesterday there was a break in its use so I went for it!
Mono conversion in Silver Efex Pro 2

All comments and critique welcome and thanks for looking.

Spiral by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

SWMBO wants us to take a short break in Edinburgh next year. I may pick your brains for places like this.
(Lens cap packed and ready to post!)

SWMBO wants us to take a short break in Edinburgh next year. I may pick your brains for places like this.
(Lens cap packed and ready to post!)

Happy to recommend places for you to shoot Frank!
Cool your cap is jiffied and ready to go also.

Nicely done, I like it but might prefer a colour version myself.

Thank you. I did contemplate a colour version but i found the saturation of the varnished wood too much.
Plus i am a bit of a B&W junkie when it comes to stuff like this.

SWMBO is not impressed. But then she's never impressed with mono.
Lens cap now on its way. First Class post!

I like it and think it works well in B&W, there is lots of nice texture and lines in the shot which I think might be lost in a colour version. Only very slight issue for me is that the steps seemed to have been cropped off on the top.

I like it and think it works well in B&W, there is lots of nice texture and lines in the shot which I think might be lost in a colour version. Only very slight issue for me is that the steps seemed to have been cropped off on the top.
Thanks Steve
The steps at the top have been naturally cropped by the limitation of the lens used.
18mm wasnt wide enough even when standing on the top step holding the camera above my head pointing down (like a right rodney).
I could have articulated it round a touch but then i would have lost the nice sweeping lead in line from the bottom of the frame.

Thanks Steve
The steps at the top have been naturally cropped by the limitation of the lens used.
18mm wasnt wide enough even when standing on the top step holding the camera above my head pointing down (like a right rodney).
I could have articulated it round a touch but then i would have lost the nice sweeping lead in line from the bottom of the frame.

I did wonder if it was a limitation rather than an intentional crop, sometimes you can only do so much and it sounds like you did everything possible. I would also have chosen to keep the lead in from the bottom rather than the steps at the top.

Spiral wooden staircase in John Hope Gateway by Chris Malcolm, on Flickr

Here's one in colour I took in 2010, just after it had been repaired and strengthened. The original design had it completely unsupported, just a wooden spiral staircase supported by the natural strength of the laminated wood. The Botanic Garden, and the new John Hope Gateway building in which this bridge features, wish to celebrate and demonstrate the excellent structural properties of wood as a building material. It was therefore very disappointing when this staircase started developing serious cracks. Considerable steel strengthening was required. Oops!

I had the advantage of having a focal length of 8mm (on a crop sensor), thanks to the Sigma 8-16mm.

Now that changes the impression totally. Stuart 's shot looks like an old stone stairway leading to a dungeon. The colour shot looks like modernist architecture.
Discuss:rolleyes:

:plus1: For me as well.
Thanks Paul(y)

Spiral wooden staircase in John Hope Gateway by Chris Malcolm, on Flickr

Here's one in colour I took in 2010, just after it had been repaired and strengthened. The original design had it completely unsupported, just a wooden spiral staircase supported by the natural strength of the laminated wood. The Botanic Garden, and the new John Hope Gateway building in which this bridge features, wish to celebrate and demonstrate the excellent structural properties of wood as a building material. It was therefore very disappointing when this staircase started developing serious cracks. Considerable steel strengthening was required. Oops!

I had the advantage of having a focal length of 8mm (on a crop sensor), thanks to the Sigma 8-16mm.
Yes the presence of an ultra wide angle does the stairs justice in getting it all in frame bit it also highlights the clutter aroundabout.
Interesting facts re the construction and strengthening that has taken place.
Thanks for the insight Chris!

Now that changes the impression totally. Stuart 's shot looks like an old stone stairway leading to a dungeon. The colour shot looks like modernist architecture.
Ah bit which do you prefer frank :LOL:

Its amazing how colour vs mono can change the dynamics of a subject.
I do like the colour of the stairs but my reason for doing B&W was for ease of masking some of the clutter in the frame.

Yes discuss away!

Don't know, Stuart. Two completely different outcomes.
Interesting that the earlier shot has what I take to be a reinforcing rod in view but yours hasn't.
Ah so you noticed that I see.
I made that rod disappear using magic......also known as the clone tool and content aware.

SWMBO is still fancying a trip to Sturgeonland next year. My room for manoeuvre on this shot has been drastically reduced, so I sympathise with you:hug:

Exactly what I thought. In this case I much prefer the monochrome. The shop display (?) on the ground floor is quite distracting. And of course losing the support rod is a big improvement.

Holy thread revival Deadhead. Nothing to do with your classifieds ratio being 51% is it?

Back