Critique SPLASH • Optical Flash Trigger Exercise

Not sure I like where the focus was chosen. I'd have had the lemon sharp but still a good shot! :)

Not sure I like where the focus was chosen. I'd have had the lemon sharp but still a good shot! :)

The whole picture is sharp! The lemon has a transparency that tricks the eye.

Last edited:
the image doesn't look completely sharp to me but it's sometimes hard to tell with jpg compression and display size,

For me the flash duration doesn't look to have been fast enough to freeze the water, looking at the water at the top of the frame particularly seems to have noticeable motion blur. The whole image seems a bit busy for me with such a big splash and 3 seperate bits of fruit, I don't really get the grape at all and I would have kept shooting to get a shot where the strawberry was mare facing camera. The lighting seems a bit hard and appears to be from above which has left the strawberry a bit under exposed. And the towel is folded up obscuring the glass at the front, and I think the biggest issue is the glass is too small for the object so is filling with bubbles which detract from the appearance of the fruit. If it's to test concept it's fine but it needs refinement all round imo, if this glass is to be used I'd probably do it as a composite to end up with a decent image.

Can i ask does your son know/want his images posted for critique by strangers? It feels a bit weird giving critique on someone elses work, would he not be better served by creating an account for himself?

the image doesn't look… …a decent image.

All the effort. here, as said in the title, was to show him "technically" how to use
and apply different optical trigger technologies. All other considerations were like…
pushed under the carpet… or towel in this case.

Without these tools, one may have to shoot a much greater number of shots
than 8. Once the setup done, 8 pictures were taken, and 7 kept. He has to learn
that mastering the tools brings more income than increasing fees!

Can i ask does your son know/want his images posted for critique by strangers?
• As a father, I would not consider doing anything that could harm him
• As his teacher and mentor, I discuss everything with him… even proposing him
to post some work of his.
It feels a bit weird giving critique on someone elses work,
I would not want you to sacrifice any of your time in a weird experience!

would he not be better served by creating an account for himself?
I told him that he could and his answers were:
• with my studies, I don't have so much time… and people might think I am not
interested in their responses
• I would prefer that you daddy take over the communication

This form of contribution of his tests and exercises through my account shelters
him from comment that could be out of context and gets all that is.

I thought there was something in the Forum rules dictating other people's pictures had to be posted as links and not actual photographs in thread.

I thought there was something in the Forum rules dictating other people's pictures had to be posted as links and not actual photographs in thread.

If you are looking for fleas in a live bear fur coat…

I did the lighting, prepared the props, chose the glass
He set up the scene, the optical trigger (that was the exercise)
We took turns at the trigger.

Have you found it?

Come on fella it's a Dad helping/ teaching is son !!!
:)

Gaz

I agree with @CraigDHD - needs a quicker flash for certain as it hasn't quite froze the action, which is the main concept of splash photography. I've had a go with this with squeezing oranges, it's getting the right balance of flash power/duration with shutter speed and aperture...

Come on fella it's a Dad helping/ teaching is son !!!
:)

Gaz

Just saying like. Other people have also commented on it being someone else's photograph.

Last edited:
what's it taste like Kodiak?

an interesting and attractive shot, image in #1 looks good to me ........ were you dropping small ice cubes into the drink?

the image doesn't look completely sharp to me but it's sometimes hard to tell with jpg compression and display size,

For me the flash duration doesn't look to have been fast enough to freeze the water, looking at the water at the top of the frame particularly seems to have noticeable motion blur. The whole image seems a bit busy for me with such a big splash and 3 seperate bits of fruit, I don't really get the grape at all and I would have kept shooting to get a shot where the strawberry was mare facing camera. The lighting seems a bit hard and appears to be from above which has left the strawberry a bit under exposed. And the towel is folded up obscuring the glass at the front, and I think the biggest issue is the glass is too small for the object so is filling with bubbles which detract from the appearance of the fruit. If it's to test concept it's fine but it needs refinement all round imo, if this glass is to be used I'd probably do it as a composite to end up with a decent image.

:agree:

Good effort but it looks like what it is; a test shot to demonstrate a principle. I'm with Craig; the lighting doesn't the attention to detail you gave the shot in the other glassware image you posted recently. The backscatter in the water is a slight irritation, I suspect that if you'd waited for the bubbles to settle between shots it would have had a less milky appearance.

Back