B&W Split tone sunset

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Learning about landscape photography at the moment.

The colours in the sky were really flat when I took this image, edits to improve the colours just made everything look false or like some crappy insta-filter so instead I went with B&W and then a split tone with the highlights in a warmer tone.

The initial shot isn't fantastic and I know there's only so much glitter to roll a turd in but any advice you might have on composition / cropping to make this more interesting would be appreciated.

Sunset by Robert Clark, on Flickr

This is the best I could do with the colour version, uncropped.

RFdb0NA.jpg

TBH I think the colour version is much better than the split tone - much greater sense of depth and interest. The mono/split looks OK, but needs more tonal separation between the water & breakwaters, and it lacks for excitment in the toning shades. You do know that split tone works GREAT with colour images too, don't you?

Colour version is much more realistic. It is one of those very grey evenings, with the hallmark grey clouds above the horizon. I hate those conditions. Nothing you can do but wait for a better one.

Thanks both for the feedback, I think sometimes you can end up going down the rabbit-hole of image editing and lose track of things!

I'll go looking for a better sunset :)

Robert
I would suggest not showing both images it is the same with mono if you show both you will not peoples real opinion. Things do not need to look realistic all the time.

I like the split tone shot it works for me though I would like the some highlights on the sea. You have used one of those in between shutter speeds where you get the water looking mushy not smoth but with no definition. Did you play around with shutter speeds especially shorter mones.

its different and contains mood...not just a sit down and shoot shot..
deep purple springs to mind
book jacket material

Back