Sport and the sunshine

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Not looking forward to the summer and bright sunshine.. out of all the weather/lighting conditiosn I have come to hate it's clear blue skies and bright sunny days.. Made worse by people telling me how I must be getting good pics in this weather.. aaargh

I tend to shoot into the sun if possible.. it depends on the time of day and where the sun is.. I always take this approach for cricket because of the batsmans peaked helmet casting a shadow over his face.. but other field sports bright sun can be a pain..

Anyone else and if so what do you find works best ?

Challenging conditions, spot/partial and reduce blow-outs in post. As cricket is a long game, early starts are an advantage if you wanted to keep the sun behind you. The shadow can work with a grimacer who swings.

Challenging conditions, spot/partial and reduce blow-outs in post. As cricket is a long game, early starts are an advantage if you wanted to keep the sun behind you. The shadow can work with a grimacer who swings.

Cricket shooting into the sun is by far the better option IMHO but not so much for other sports.. Tried spot and I failed miserably.. different coloured kits and no chance of focusing on skin in a fast moving action....

cheers :)

I here ya, I here ya.

Bright sun, add in some heat haze.
If i can backlite, then i will, but sometimes with the backgrounds doesn't work so well.
But least the sun in the UK is somewhat "diffuse". Compared to here in NZ, where the sun can be vary harsh.
Talking with a couple of Uk shooters down here for the Football under 19 world cup a few years ago they couldn't believe the harshness of the light.

Heat haze can be a tricky bugger too. Some days nothing is sharp. Getting low is not an option. We put a thermometer on a 3g pitch one day. 65 degrees C. Just side on the pitch was uncomfortable. Let alone playing on it.
Tend to try and get up high (up in a stand, tv tower) and shoot down.

But thats all better than sitting in the mud at night in the rain at freezing point.

Back