Spyder 5 brightness calibration

Edit My Images
No
(Not sure if best here or in processing, figured it's with aim to print so probably here..?)

My laptop came colour calibrated from the factory, and judging from test prints I'm happy with the colour accuracy. However, the screen is definitely too bright, because my prints come out too dark.

I have a Spyder 5; is there a way to just calibrate brightness using this? Ideally don't want to mess with the colours, if it ain't broke don't fix it and all that. Or any other way to methodically sort the brightness out? Or is it just a trial and error job?

Just some thoughts to offer:-

• How do you really know that the factory calibration of the colours has not drifted? I have yet to hear of any laptop that has "a hardware calibrated screen"
    Do say what the make and model is?
    How old is it?
  • If you are 100% content about the colour accuracy then I suggest you do various test prints and lower & lower brightness settings to 'find' the one that 'matches' what you see compared to the screen.
  • Though not an ideal analogy
    Think of car tyres ~ when new and the tracking has been done the car should steer and perform optimally.
    But a few 1000 miles later and some potholes driven through the car will be, from minor to significantly, behaving differently..................so why not the same in regard to monitor screen?
As I said, if you are entirely content that what was set in the factory will last you until you throw the laptop into the recycling then do the 'by eye' brightness test prints etc and be content. Otherwise why not just calibrate it and be content that you have not relied on the frailty of the human eye & brain to judge what is optimal.

PS AFAIK you cannot just use the any calibrator to set the brightness, it is intended to ensure the colour & brightness conformity and how can you determine the colour accuracy of the prints if they are too dark???

How about giving soft proofing in Lightroom a go (if you use LR obviously)

Just some thoughts to offer:-

• How do you really know that the factory calibration of the colours has not drifted? I have yet to hear of any laptop that has "a hardware calibrated screen"
    Do say what the make and model is?
    How old is it?
  • If you are 100% content about the colour accuracy then I suggest you do various test prints and lower & lower brightness settings to 'find' the one that 'matches' what you see compared to the screen.
  • Though not an ideal analogy
    Think of car tyres ~ when new and the tracking has been done the car should steer and perform optimally.
    But a few 1000 miles later and some potholes driven through the car will be, from minor to significantly, behaving differently..................so why not the same in regard to monitor screen?
As I said, if you are entirely content that what was set in the factory will last you until you throw the laptop into the recycling then do the 'by eye' brightness test prints etc and be content. Otherwise why not just calibrate it and be content that you have not relied on the frailty of the human eye & brain to judge what is optimal.

PS AFAIK you cannot just use the any calibrator to set the brightness, it is intended to ensure the colour & brightness conformity and how can you determine the colour accuracy of the prints if they are too dark???
Some good points to think on. It's an Asus Zenbook Pro 15, barely two months old right now.

I found this on the Asus website

Color calibration
Built-in ASUS Calibration technology provides color accuracy tuning and uniformity compensation to make things easy when it’s time to recalibrate ZenBook Pro 15’s display’s brightness and color consistency.

They mention recalibration but nowhere could I find reference to a factory calibration. And in regard to their statement above I could not readily find their recommendation as to which calibration method (of those available) to use to recalibrate it??? Perhaps it is in the user manual but I have not had the time (yet?) to go looking for it and read about it ;)

Back