Spyder5 Elite giving warm resaults

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my Spyder2 Express. But after 2 calibrations with my new Spyder5 I'm finding the screen is a lot warmer. Now obviously this is hard to show on the interweb, but I wondered if anyone has any tips please. It does ask what kelvin your monitor is set to recommending 6500, but my LG IPS235 only has cool, medium and warm presets and after a google I can't find anything that suggest what temp these settings are. Also I wonder if it's just that I've got used to the cooler results from the Spyder2.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Last edited:
Hi

What OS are you one? Windows or Mac?

Doesn't matter what you set the monitor to the calibrated profile corrects it. There are a number of reviews of consumer grade calibration tools out there are frankly they are a complete mess. Best bet is to stick with one device for all your screens and don't worry about it. Truth is the biggest benefit is in getting good greyscales out of it, not necessarily whether the actual target colour temp is hit accurately or not.

If you cannot hard calibrate to 6500K (D65) then the profile created should still produce a result that is as close as it can get to that optimum figure, I am not familiar with Datacolour products, do they give you a 'results' page at the end of profiling? It may be that the Col Temp of the monitor is too far out for the profile to achieve the desired 6500K.

Does the software allow you to select 'Native' white point?

You could also try setting the monitor to 'Cool' and then reprofiling.

I have used a Spyder 3 for a long while then my daughter got a 5 earlier this year

Gave it a try and it gives quite a different calibration, suppose you could call it warmer

I went from the 4 to the 5 a couple of months ago and the only difference I noticed between the two was that my wallet was lighter, profiles were the same.

The before and after shots always look very cool on the calibrated section, which is more of an indication of how bright and warm the factory setting is.

Sometimes correct just looks wrong, when its not.

Welcome to the joys of profiling.

Wait till you start profiling a printer and find they never match a profiled monitors brightness, which is why my monitor is set to 80 during profiling when the spyder software recommends 120, which is far too bright for home printing.

After you've finished the profiling, leave the room and go and do something else for about half an hour and return to your monitor after. Your eyes adjust to what you're looking at. Because you were used to the old profile, the new one will look wrong initially.

Back