Beginner Squirrels!

Hi Ben.

I think you've answered your own critique here. The light seems very harsh and mabye from one side or even behind the top 3 squirrels? They are also very noisy although the last image is much better in that respect. Did you up the ISO or shoot in Auto?

Some things to watch out for in wildlife images are cluttered backgrounds and images , 99.5 times out of 100 must be bitingly sharp.

The last image is by far the best, the light isn't anywhere near as garish as the top 3. It's is pretty good exposure wise too, considering the light and you've controlled the shadows and highlights well. I think I would make more of the composition and crop here and there to get the squirrel on the top, right 1/3rd and remove some of the surroundings that way too and get the viewer's eye more on the squirrel.

:)

Hey Ben, cool post from Dale above I agree completely the only add in is in the last shot in that type of situation maybe wait a bit until the light catches the face especially the eye. Look for this Ben it will come:)
Keep trucking buddy, this is not an easy craft to learn, but the more time spent both reading and doing and critiquing others ,(this is really good for you mate it makes you think),the faster progress will be

all the luck bro

Stu

Hi Ben.

I think you've answered your own critique here. The light seems very harsh and mabye from one side or even behind the top 3 squirrels? They are also very noisy although the last image is much better in that respect. Did you up the ISO or shoot in Auto?

Some things to watch out for in wildlife images are cluttered backgrounds and images , 99.5 times out of 100 must be bitingly sharp.

The last image is by far the best, the light isn't anywhere near as garish as the top 3. It's is pretty good exposure wise too, considering the light and you've controlled the shadows and highlights well. I think I would make more of the composition and crop here and there to get the squirrel on the top, right 1/3rd and remove some of the surroundings that way too and get the viewer's eye more on the squirrel.

:)
I tend to take shots of what I see when I'm out for walks. That last one made a run for it after I got that shot so couldn't get the light on his face. Feel free to edit it to show your idea for composition!
Hey Ben, cool post from Dale above I agree completely the only add in is in the last shot in that type of situation maybe wait a bit until the light catches the face especially the eye. Look for this Ben it will come:)
Keep trucking buddy, this is not an easy craft to learn, but the more time spent both reading and doing and critiquing others ,(this is really good for you mate it makes you think),the faster progress will be

all the luck bro

Stu
That last one made a run for it after I got that shot so couldn't get the light on his face.
you seem to b doing pretty well with your pics as a beginner, im new to this game and am nowhere near your photos so i think you are doing ok - i`ll keep an eye on your posts
Thank you! I have done a huge amount of reading, and the guys on here have been fantastic for giving advice to help me improve.

Here you go, does this look a bit better for you?

Auto Haze Removal tool in Photoshop Elements 15. :)

Last edited:
Ben,you've seen some of what I do and been very kind, ( thank you mate !!)i'm slowly taking little step after little step forwards. I think of my self as a beginner turning into a novice.... but I'm at base one with processing,my computer won't support the programe I want to use. So i'm pretty much incapable of editing your images,not I won't bro,it's just I don't feel I have not got the skill set to advance you. in this area yet. I still struggle with my stuff and the simple free programme that canon provide This actually as a RAW converter, is ace, probably where I'll stay. But it's a global programme I can do nowt selectively,which is the next step really. In many ways bro I have never yet taken an image to where it could go,as one needs to selectively sharpen subjects,maybe apply /nr to bkgs,etc etc

I came here with a bit of a skillset mate not as a tog,but as a mad nutter that has always bumbled into wild animals, as you have seen, I get silly close every now and then. I really try hard to know my subjects. I work ( ha ha work it's a bloody joy) in a similar way to you Ben. I wander around and make images of what I come across,but behind that is deep study of the beastie/s I would like to see and try and capture. Mate. I know where they live where they move their highways and byways likely times of movement.. If I do spend a few hours sitting somewhere I have a damn good reason to do so,there is little random in why I'm in a particular place at a particular time.

Ben I honestly find it quite hard to say I have even a modicum of a skill set. It's called feildcraft in photography,in my little world of dreams,I felt that would be my chance to get some cool images. I wanted the best gear for wildlife, that probably means a big long lens 500 600 f/4 or maybe a 200/400 f4 with int ext to give one reach,but I can't afford those tools. So I mused maybe I can use what I do,to negate what I can't afford and graft at getting damn close, with a cracking 300mm lens capable of taking exts

Mate this ramble is for that line, GET CLOSE,know your subject. In your post you told me the squirrel ran off,why is my question back? Ben I can give you reasons all valid,I ain't calling ya out mate,what I'm trying to do is put you in a position where you have a handle on the why? That's what I really want you to ponder how can I get close how can i minimise the chances of my subject running off. I'm steering you to learn fieldcraft to learn your subject

It will always happen mate,the buggers do run off:D they have stuff to do,their lives to lead,but we only need what, a split second actually..... or is it hundredths or thousandths, of just one second for a spanking image. I feel we have the odds stacked for us. The better that field craft the more seconds we have!! He he :) Ben when put like that I should nail everything, huh,:rolleyes: I don' t. I'm struggling with exposusre light framing active focal point and god knows what else. But the FC gives me just a few more seconds to blow the shot than many I suppose. I guess I've laboured this in many ways 'cause I'd really like to be able to edit your image it feels pants that I simply can't do so .

So I've bunged a bit at ya that I know a little about,just a little mate I ain't no expert . the more you know of any animal the better chances you will give yourself of making a wonderful image of it. Others here can give the the other stuff way better than I as above ^^^ But I sort of think your walks need way more focus and this might give you a better chance of progressing faster. It doesn't mean your walks are invalid,this has to be fun it's your enjoyment just

I guess it might also be worth popping up your techs for each shot,if one wants critique,it's worth giving the guy whom is gonna take his time to help as much info as possible isn't it ????

Buddy if this ramble is all over the shop I apologise I'm battered senseless, I have already told you I admire your attitude you seem to be a guy who wants to go for it,I love that!! So an effort to chuck something a bit left field at ya, maybe not something expected really it's a bit off topic almost,but I really feel it's helping me,and it's given me something in your words that appealed to you,all I have really to share is how I got there

must dash mate

belucky kiddo

stu

Ben,you've seen some of what I do and been very kind, ( thank you mate !!)i'm slowly taking little step after little step forwards. I think of my self as a beginner turning into a novice.... but I'm at base one with processing,my computer won't support the programe I want to use. So i'm pretty much incapable of editing your images,not I won't bro,it's just I don't feel I have not got the skill set to advance you. in this area yet. I still struggle with my stuff and the simple free programme that canon provide This actually as a RAW converter, is ace, probably where I'll stay. But it's a global programme I can do nowt selectively,which is the next step really. In many ways bro I have never yet taken an image to where it could go,as one needs to selectively sharpen subjects,maybe apply /nr to bkgs,etc etc

I came here with a bit of a skillset mate not as a tog,but as a mad nutter that has always bumbled into wild animals, as you have seen, I get silly close every now and then. I really try hard to know my subjects. I work ( ha ha work it's a bloody joy) in a similar way to you Ben. I wander around and make images of what I come across,but behind that is deep study of the beastie/s I would like to see and try and capture. Mate. I know where they live where they move their highways and byways likely times of movement.. If I do spend a few hours sitting somewhere I have a damn good reason to do so,there is little random in why I'm in a particular place at a particular time.

Ben I honestly find it quite hard to say I have even a modicum of a skill set. It's called feildcraft in photography,in my little world of dreams,I felt that would be my chance to get some cool images. I wanted the best gear for wildlife, that probably means a big long lens 500 600 f/4 or maybe a 200/400 f4 with int ext to give one reach,but I can't afford those tools. So I mused maybe I can use what I do,to negate what I can't afford and graft at getting damn close, with a cracking 300mm lens capable of taking exts

Mate this ramble is for that line, GET CLOSE,know your subject. In your post you told me the squirrel ran off,why is my question back? Ben I can give you reasons all valid,I ain't calling ya out mate,what I'm trying to do is put you in a position where you have a handle on the why? That's what I really want you to ponder how can I get close how can i minimise the chances of my subject running off. I'm steering you to learn fieldcraft to learn your subject

It will always happen mate,the buggers do run off:D they have stuff to do,their lives to lead,but we only need what, a split second actually..... or is it hundredths or thousandths, of just one second for a spanking image. I feel we have the odds stacked for us. The better that field craft the more seconds we have!! He he :) Ben when put like that I should nail everything, huh,:rolleyes: I don' t. I'm struggling with exposusre light framing active focal point and god knows what else. But the FC gives me just a few more seconds to blow the shot than many I suppose. I guess I've laboured this in many ways 'cause I'd really like to be able to edit your image it feels pants that I simply can't do so .

So I've bunged a bit at ya that I know a little about,just a little mate I ain't no expert . the more you know of any animal the better chances you will give yourself of making a wonderful image of it. Others here can give the the other stuff way better than I as above ^^^ But I sort of think your walks need way more focus and this might give you a better chance of progressing faster. It doesn't mean your walks are invalid,this has to be fun it's your enjoyment just

I guess it might also be worth popping up your techs for each shot,if one wants critique,it's worth giving the guy whom is gonna take his time to help as much info as possible isn't it ????

Buddy if this ramble is all over the shop I apologise I'm battered senseless, I have already told you I admire your attitude you seem to be a guy who wants to go for it,I love that!! So an effort to chuck something a bit left field at ya, maybe not something expected really it's a bit off topic almost,but I really feel it's helping me,and it's given me something in your words that appealed to you,all I have really to share is how I got there

must dash mate

belucky kiddo

stu
The squirrel was on the cricket field and a cricket ball got hit towards him, so I didn't have a lot to do with him running off. I was stood 2ft from one yesterday, but he was on the other side of a tree trunk and each time I moved to either side he moved the other to avoid me, didn't even run up the tree.

Back