SR-71 Blackbird

Edit My Images
No
5D3_4506.jpg

Awesome aircraft.

Great shot of an iconic machine, you did well to get a clear shot at the Udvar-Hazy museum(y)

GC

Oh thats a great place to get the whole plane in with others for scale. Dunsfold is very crowded. Slightly clipped but I guess it's the limitations of the space/lenses

Great shot of an iconic machine, you did well to get a clear shot at the Udvar-Hazy museum(y)

GC

Thanks, yeah wide angle lenses help immensely as you can get much closer and thus reduce the incidents of people walking in front of you.

Oh thats a great place to get the whole plane in with others for scale. Dunsfold is very crowded. Slightly clipped but I guess it's the limitations of the space/lenses

Actually the slight clip of the wing was intentional as the perspective was such that including all of it would have screwed up the composition

Think you might mean Duxford? AFAIK there's only a Hunter and Seahawk at Dunsfold.

It is a great museum, Enola Gay and a Space Shuttle amongst the other exhibits. A Wright Flyer is displayed at the main Smithsonian site in downtown DC too.

GC

Last edited:
Think you might mean Duxford? AFAIK there's only a Hunter and Seahawk at Dunsfold.

It is a great museum, Enola Gay and a Space Shuttle amongst the other exhibits. A Wright Flyer is displayed at the main Smithsonian site in downtown DC too.

GC
You're right - Duxford. Went for the first time a few weeks ago.
As for Udvar-Hazy - definitely on my list - cheers

So this is the one at Dulles airport, Washington?

Yeah. The Smithsonian Air & Space Museum is split into two - the original in the centre of D.C. and the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center right next to Dulles.

The former tends to have smaller stuff like the Bell X-1 and Wright Flyer plus educational areas which chart the timeline of the Apollo missions, for example. The Udvar-Hazy Center has all the big-ticket stuff which simply won't fit anywhere else and is basically a potted history of air and space travel, including the Enola Gay, Space Shuttle Discovery, a Concorde and the SR-71. Both are a must-visit

Yeah. The Smithsonian Air & Space Museum is split into two - the original in the centre of D.C. and the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center right next to Dulles.

The former tends to have smaller stuff like the Bell X-1 and Wright Flyer plus educational areas which chart the timeline of the Apollo missions, for example. The Udvar-Hazy Center has all the big-ticket stuff which simply won't fit anywhere else and is basically a potted history of air and space travel, including the Enola Gay, Space Shuttle Discovery, a Concorde and the SR-71. Both are a must-visit
Yeah been there once back in 2011, also went to Quantico USMC Museum which was fantastic!

Very wide lens then!?
I love the straightness, did you have to make any corrections?

Fairly wide - 24mm on full frame, using the 16-35

No corrections were required, it's a very good lens.

Very nice shot but I do find the light reflection at the bottom of the image distracting, I not sure if it would look right cropped in to get rid of it or alternatively edit it out?

Yeah I've tried various different crops (the top is already cropped down) but it starts looking a bit weird if you have nothing but the plane itself in the shot. Might try reducing that reflection down a bit.

This shot could be criticised because it is too busy with lots of distracting elements, but I think it works.

The light and colour in the rest of the shot accentuate the 'other worldliness' of this plane.

Dave

Back