srgb for monitor too??

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
Hmm I make myself sound like a right numpty with this one!!:D

I have always had my monitor on srgb etc and the images set to the same profile ready for when I send them to Photobox for printing.

Recently I changed my monitor profile as it looked better, but then when opening srgb profiled images they looked all different.

Do I have to keep my monitor at srgb all the time too??

How did you change the monitor profile - with a calibration device or just by eye?

sRGB has a white point of 6500K - if you've changed the monitor's colour temp to above or below 6500, that's probably why the sRGB images look different now.

Last edited:
How did you change the monitor profile - with a calibration device or just by eye?

sRGB has a white point of 6500K - if you've changed the monitor's colour temp to above or below 6500, that's probably why the sRGB images look different now.

not a device but more by software if you understand me.. then save it in your profiles.

best go back to srgb i guess to keep it right. so anyone who wants to print has to have their monitor in that profile too? what about all the other profiles available for the monitor then? Wont they ALL make the srgb images look wrong?

I don't know if your software can save multiple profiles - if it can, you could try tweaking the profile you've created (let's call it X) and change the colour temp to 6500K, without altering anything else. Save the new tweak as a different name (profile Y) so you don't overwrite your original X.

Janice

If you change the monitor profile then it will affect the way images adjusted with the old set up are viewed.

The problem with using sRGB as a monitor profile is it doesn't take into account the monitor characteristics. By making these software adjustments you've tried to "normalise " the monitor and hence changed it's display characteristics. That's why the images look different.

The big question is do the images match the display when printed?

Back