St Benets Pump, Thurne

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
As the evening was supposed to be sunny with cloud yesterday, I decided on an early evening trip down to St Benets Pump at Thurne on the Norfolk Broads.
Sadly no clouds materialized and most of the lovely reed beds that surround the dykes that lead up to the pump had either been cut down or were in such a messy state it was pointless trying to take a classic type of shot.
Nevertheless, I was determined to use my wonderful Nikon 16-35 so after scouting around the area for half an hour or so I decided to take this shot. Thurne's more famous windmill can be seen in the background on the left.

Nikon D610, Nikkor 16-35mm @ 16mm, f10 1/100s, ISO 100.

St Benets Pump, Thurne by Neil.A., on Flickr

Last edited:
Most of those windmill shots I see seem to be taken from behind the blades, so I like this for being slightly different as well as being crisp and clear. The reflection works well to add a bit more interest to the shot.

Very nice indeed.
I agree the reflection adds something :)

If I remember rightly this is not a easy place to get to, to take this angled shot.
Nice one and as said the reflection helps..

If I remember rightly this is not a easy place to get to, to take this angled shot.
Nice one and as said the reflection helps..

Not easy at all - especially if you live on the opposite side of the bank....as I do!
It's a good 20-25 minute walk from the parking area on the Ludham side - was quite disappointed at the lack of reeds so this really was the best I could have done given the circumstances.

Not easy at all - especially if you live on the opposite side of the bank....as I do!
It's a good 20-25 minute walk from the parking area on the Ludham side - was quite disappointed at the lack of reeds so this really was the best I could have done given the circumstances.

Tried it myself once and was deeply disappointed, have learnt since to map out my destiny, Planning is one of the important parts of photography.

Back