St Mark's flies

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Great series of shots Nick, these are very similar to the fever fly. The difference between them can be found on the front legs.

Great series of shots Nick, these are very similar to the fever fly. The difference between them can be found on the front legs.

Thanks Alby, that is very helpful. It sent me off to look for the difference (I have not previously heard of the Fever fly). It seems that some of these are definitely St Mark's flies, because I can see the forward point spine mentioned at http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/flies p1.html - "The single, strong, forward pointing spine on the outside of the tibia of the front legs ... is an identifying feature of the Bibio family, helping to distinguish it from the similar Dilophus family - to which the fever-fly ... belongs."

Are the others St Mark's flies too? I don't know. What I haven't been able to find is a good illustration of the diagnostic feature of the Fever fly, the ring of spines around the bottom of the front leg tibia.

Thanks Alby, that is very helpful. It sent me off to look for the difference (I have not previously heard of the Fever fly). It seems that some of these are definitely St Mark's flies, because I can see the forward point spine mentioned at http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/flies p1.html - "The single, strong, forward pointing spine on the outside of the tibia of the front legs ... is an identifying feature of the Bibio family, helping to distinguish it from the similar Dilophus family - to which the fever-fly ... belongs."

Are the others St Mark's flies too? I don't know. What I haven't been able to find is a good illustration of the diagnostic feature of the Fever fly, the ring of spines around the bottom of the front leg tibia.
I see you found my fever fly and the difference, all your other shots are st marks. ;)

Excellent set Nick seen plenty of these (Both Fever and Marks) flying about recently :D

Lovely shots as always Nick with some as always great lighting.

Back