St Michaels Mount - Mono or colour

Colour for me. I love this place. Stayed here many times, both on and off the island.
The horizon needs a straighten.

was there earlier in the year during our heatwave summer.
A glorious place (albeit a bit windy on the each whilst waiting for the tide to go out).
Colour for me to answer your question....

the first one for me

Colour for me - but straighten the horizon.

Horizon needs to be straightened out for sure but I will pick BW.... After adding more contrast and darkening blue channel. The mount is almost a silhouette so you may as well. The colour version is evidently too dark by the way.

Thanks for the feedback.

Re straightening I just clicked on auto on LR - it’s slightly misleading because the rocks on the right are not on the horizon....

Colour for me.

The horizon is definately out. If you're on a phone or tablet, scroll til the photo is at the top of the page and you'll see (y)

To start from a different place - what I like about this image is the way the mount sits at a cross-roads of an irregular X made by the clouds and their reflections. You could strengthen this X by some cropping on both sides, especially the left. And then - which crop looks better, colour or b+w?

I would like to see some of the darkness / shows lifted from the mount? I like the clouds, but the shade they throw hasn't done you any favours.

I would like to see some of the darkness / shows lifted from the mount? I like the clouds, but the shade they throw hasn't done you any favours.

Can see your point but I didnt think lifting the shadows improved the shot - it’s not always necessary imo

StM 11 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

StM 22 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr
it will take me some time to get back into bw conversions...

its colour down here so i vote colour
the tilt however small to measure...the eye and the brain do conflict
you have centralised the subject which i dont go for personally...just a point and the sea is not really of any concern here, the sky being more a dominant element so i tried to make it more a baseline
this i think has all evolved out of your camera having the focusing aid in the middle of the viewfinder
if you used manual focus you could focus on your subject then recompose without any loss really of sharpness...or spot focus on auto..
on such a distant subject on a small aperture the difference is negligible but once i start my rant it just covers all aspects of setting up a shot...including spot metering
my edit is what i would have done myself to the shot if i had taken it...so if you dont like it...just remember apart from the leveling the rest of the PP is a personal view
did you walk or boat it?
cheers
geof

Last edited:
Thanks Geoff - I like the alterations:)

It’s personal but I still like the mount in the middle because of the X effect that Johnfar mentioned

Thanks for the feedback.

Re straightening I just clicked on auto on LR - it’s slightly misleading because the rocks on the right are not on the horizon....

From experience all lightroom auto transformations are very buggy and completely unpredictable. Manual adjustments are still the way forward

Thanks Geoff - I like the alterations:)

It’s personal but I still like the mount in the middle because of the X effect that Johnfar mentioned

hi Justin..i think Johnfar probably saw something i didnt
cool!!
its been so long since i did a spot of shooting and personal editing....i drool when i see something really good and get carried away with the PP gas
yours always
geof

Thanks for the feedback.

water and land can always cause this...shoot the shot and dont worry about acute levelling
its easy to do in pp...after all we are in the digital age where we control a lot of the images final viewing...and use just the water part to level first to see how it looks overall
the land can cause tropical illusions which may catch you out and cause a lot of nits getting picked
cheers
geof

Back