St Monans

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Conditions weren't great for the usual St Monans 'zig zag' jetty shot, so I decided to try something different from this photogenic wee village....

St Monans by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Lovely wee village. I drive through it weekly with my work. I’ve taken a few shots of the pier but none that I’m happy with.

Lovely wee village. I drive through it weekly with my work. I’ve taken a few shots of the pier but none that I’m happy with.

It most certainly is! Took me FOREVER to clone out the parked cars in front of the houses though! I've got a few jetty shots, and knew it wasn't the right conditions for another one, but when passing through and all that... :)

Good picture and job on the cloning. There is a small jet trail (top right) that will take you a fraction of the time to remove ;)

Cheers mate. You know, I didn't even spot that until I posted it on here! Do the verticals look ok to you? Another thing I only noticed when posting it on here, do the houses/church look to be leaning back ever so slightly?

Cheers mate. You know, I didn't even spot that until I posted it on here! Do the verticals look ok to you? Another thing I only noticed when posting it on here, do the houses/church look to be leaning back ever so slightly?

They’re fine. Convergence shows most at the extreme edges. Look at your window panes at each edge, they track straight either side - so you’re fine.

With old buildings things are usually a little off as they aren’t as straight as you’d think.

I guess you know this and you’ve shot portrait - but if the camera is level on the vertical plane it’s just not something you’ll see.

Last edited:
They’re fine. Convergence shows most at the extreme edges. Look at your window panes at each edge, they track straight either side - so you’re fine.

With old buildings things are usually a little off as they aren’t as straight as you’d think.

I guess you know this and you’ve shot portrait - but if the camera is level on the vertical plane it’s just not something you’ll see.

Aye it was the windows I levelled everything off with, so that's good :D

It's spotless. Trust me. The A7 is brilliant with the spirit level and grid - very accurate and sensitive (more so than my D810). It's a really nice picture - not your usual style but I like it - a lot.

Cheers mate. Yeah we called in on our way back down from a weekend on the Moray Firth, as the rest of the lads hadn't been before, so while they shot the jetty, I went for something totally out of my comfort range, but happy with what I got, once I'd removed the 6 parked cars :)

Back