Critique St Nectans Glen

29 views and no critique :exit:

Well I've been out all day.

This made the forum worth visiting this evening.

I tend to be a bit averse to milky smooth water falls - but this works really nicely. It has an abstract quality, It also has a sense of 3D depth.

I've been out all day too. :banana:

Nice image, good composition but a fraction too long an exposure with no detail in the white bits, bordering on blown.

Potential here though.

Nice image, good composition but a fraction too long an exposure with no detail in the white bits, bordering on blown.

Potential here though.

:agree: More detail needed in the water for me also.

Well I've been out all day.

This made the forum worth visiting this evening.

I tend to be a bit averse to milky smooth water falls - but this works really nicely. It has an abstract quality, It also has a sense of 3D depth.

Had forgotten it was bank holiday weekend, joys of shift work. Thanks for your kind words

Potential here though.
I know what you mean with this.......:)

I like the composition would just prefer more movement in the water, but again that's a preference rather than any technical flaw. Bit faster shutter would also help stopping nearly blowing the highlights as Dale said. Nice shot though (y)
:agree: More detail needed in the water for me also.

As requested a little more detail just my bad PP skills,

St. Nectans Glen BO.JPG

Last edited:
Overcooked IMO. For me, one of the joys of St. Nectan's Glen and the falls is that it's dark and mystical and that shot is way too light. Never seen milk flowing down the falls either.

Overcooked IMO. For me, one of the joys of St. Nectan's Glen and the falls is that it's dark and mystical and that shot is way too light. Never seen milk flowing down the falls either.

Cheers for the feedback Nod, do you think a mono would work better?

kellett

I liked the first image best except for the blown water - the second is too light and has lost the sense of delicacy and mystery by opening everything up too much, even though there's a little more water detail.

Cheers for the feedback Nod, do you think a mono would work better?

kellett

Not necessarily but by all means give it a go and see what you think! A shorter exposure would leave the scene darker and should also leave a little sense of the water's movement that your long exposure has completely removed.

Back