St Nicholas Church, Laindon, Essex

Name
Josh
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys, I've not really posted much in here before, but I've recently moved away from so much automotive photography, and started focusing on other things, so go easy on me!

I was running early for work this morning, and as I had my camera with me, I decided I'd stop off at one of the local churches for a few photos. I picked this one as my Aunt and Uncle got married here (well before I was born), so I thought it would be a great place to photograph!

It was my first real time using my 10-stop filter, and to be honest, I wish I'd stacked 2 images so I could have frozen the motion from the branches in the upper corner of the frame, but it's something I'll be sure to check for next time.

Shot with my X-T20 with 18-55mm w/10 stop ND filter & circular polariser. 18mm, f/11, ISO200, 15sec exposure.

St Nicholas Church, Basildon by Josh Kneller, on Flickr

Not what purpose the ND filter served - you have a very slight blurring of the clouds which I cannot see has added anything.

Using a wide angle lens pointing up has put quite a lean on the steeple. It would be good to see it straightened up.

Not what purpose the ND filter served - you have a very slight blurring of the clouds which I cannot see has added anything.

Using a wide angle lens pointing up has put quite a lean on the steeple. It would be good to see it straightened up.
Thanks, I'd planned to have more blurring of the clouds, but they weren't moving too quickly today. I would have removed the filter and shot again but I didn't have much time here, so had to make do as it was.

I did straighten up in one version, but I didn't think it had as much character as this one did.

Thanks for the feedback though, definitely some things to keep in mind for the future.

For me, it feels way too close and doesn't make the most of the prominent location of the church. You could also create more foreground with the graveyard by the church

The shot also feels a bit dark for me, sorry.

For me, it feels way too close and doesn't make the most of the prominent location of the church. You could also create more foreground with the graveyard by the church

Not a problem, I'm always looking to improve, so appreciate the feedback! I'll try and get back along at some point and see if I can get something a bit different.

I don't know this particular church, but in general, churches are in the centre of villages with a restricted churchyard. Getting far enough away from the church to fit the whole building in one shot is very difficult, particularly if there are trees in the churchyard.

The stones above the door have about the right luminance - I would think the church was built from dark stone with the advantage of Victorian pollution.

Last edited:
Back