St Paul's tube station

Very good, especially taking the low central viewpoint

"Excellent" shot, and nicely presented in higher contrast mono'

George.

Digital cameras don't like those newer indicator boards do they?

Tried to get the destination board on a German tram to give a sense of location.
Looked like it had been scrambled and encoded, very annoying

I’m assuming it’s the frequency at which it regenerates. I tried to move further along the platform, but there was one there too. Couldn’t avoid them

I’m assuming it’s the frequency at which it regenerates. I tried to move further along the platform, but there was one there too. Couldn’t avoid them

Sure you are right, wonder if there is a specific shutter speed that would negate or freeze it?
My kind of photo though, low down and vanishing point, nice.

Last edited:
You need to use a much slower shutter speed (~1/25 sec) to allow the display to fully refresh.
This will give the additional benefit of allowing a lower ISO, which keeps the noise down.

I've tried to take moving trains and of course, you need a fast shutter speed to freeze the movement, which means the destination display on the front of the train is scrambled.
One thing I've noticed using an EVF on the underground, is how many lamps and displays strobe, which go unnoticed with an Optical Viewfider.

Last edited:
Not just me that can't capture the electronic signs then!!!

Love the angle and composition, although not so keen the extreme contrast.

Not wishing to HiJack this thread, but as a late addition I have compiled a few shots of an underground station electronic train indicator, showing the effects of different shutter speeds.

At 1/125 sec - totally incomplete.
Train Indicator_125 copy.jpg

At 1/60 sec - still a bit missing.
Train Indicator_60 copy.jpg

At 1/30 sec - the complete thing.
Train Indicator_30.jpg

All I need now is a way to take the front indicator of a tube train (which is refreshed in a similar way) whilst the train is moving!

Nice !!!
Sucker for Tube shots !!
And thanks to all for the Indicator tutorial !!!

Rob, I wish I had been witty enough to have said that deliberately!

Back