St Petersburg Day 1

Edit My Images
Yes
From Tallinn on to St Petersburg. No Russian visa needed if you are on a ship docking for less than 72 hours and you are on a guided tour. Russian immigration officers may have learned to smile from their US counterparts. We visited the church of the Spilled Blood, built after the assassination of a Tsar. The outside is lovely but they have not re-furbished the inside. The Communists used it as a potato warehouse. The second church is St Isaacs and that has been restored. Here’s some more holiday snaps from the trip. I hope you like them.

Church of the Spilled Blood

21068083475_2302ee8773_b.jpg

The length of St Isaacs

21068084385_e49a1e8417_b.jpg

The altar of St Isaacs

20447025873_ed7fd9a3b1_b.jpg

Nice compositions but they appear a bit noisy if that's the right term ? What camera is it ?

Thanks for your feedback. I am not sure what you mean by noisy. The camera is a Canon 5DS and the lens is a Sigma f1.4 35 mm prime. Would you please clarify what you mean by noisy?

Perhaps noisy is a the wrong word - the images seem quite harsh - like you have processed them heavily ?

Thanks for your explanation. In the last few months, my approach to photography has undergone a number of changes. Firstly, I have bought a Canon 5DS and am getting used to the changes which having a high resolution camera has on taking photographs. Secondly, I have upgraded my monitor to a 4k model. When I went from a VGA monitor to a HDMI monitor, I found that some of my images that looked sharp in VGA were soft in HDMI. The same is true for the move to 4k from HDMI.

Thirdly, on Saturday, I had a conversation with a professional photographer who used to have his images displayed on billboards by the roadside. It’s his professional opinion that unless someone is going to print your images on a roadside billboard then use Jpegs for your images. It’s also his opinion that you should then convert the image to TIFF for editing before using Jpeg for publication.

I am going to take your comments into consideration as I alter my post processing. When I have some results, that I am happy with, from my new approach then I will publish them. I will be happy to read your reaction.

can i add please rh1944

we have been there and that church is amazing. Also did Catherines palace, wow what a building . this is part of it

_DSC6176ab.jpg

We did the baltic cruise with a Royal Caribbean cruise in 2016 which included Russia. well worth going on if one gets the chance

also did a video of The altar of St Isaacs but so crowded could not get anywhere near. I won't post it as it is your thread and picture unless you want me to
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5zdYSB4J8s

Last edited:
Back