OP
OP
Buck
Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
@digitalfailure
I reckon you have this long exposure photography off to a fine art now Brian with another great entry. The composition and muted tones work well together with the classic thirds placement. A very pleasing image and good use of ing exposure IMO.
One minor tweak is the horizon - it needs a degree or two of clockwise adjustment but will need to keep the lighthouse vertical!

@Yv
A real fun/of the moment shot and worth getting a little wet for! The crop and anonymity of the jumper/splasher gives the photo a real focal point and the freezing of the water works well too. Difficult to get these perfect but the dog in the background is the only thing that detracts for me.

@SarahLee
A clever composition and use of a prop. I can't work out if it is a composite but regardless it works either way! I think the tones throughout are calm and consistent but can't help but think it would have been elevated with blue marbles/pebbles and background to really enhance the wet theme.

@fabs
A lovely, abstract and simple shot that works really well with all of the horizontal lines. You did well to see this as most would have walked on by. I also like the wisp of clouds in the sky that adds just a little extra and point of interest
I do think the expanse of the pebbles/shingles is slightly too much, taking over 50% of the shot and perhaps would have worked better with a tighter/more panoramic crop but that is a subjective view from me!

@TheBigYin
Well done for another film entry. What I love about this shot is that it captures the essence of film in terms of its processing and presentation giving it a lovely aged yet timeless feel. The stack is very prominent and certainly draws the attention with the leading line of the rocks in the foreground taking the viewer through the shot. I do think this could have been even stronger if shot with the more gentle light of dawn or dusk (tide permitting!)

Last edited:

digitalfailure

<span class="poty">Staff Bog Cleaner 2015</span>
Staff member
Admin
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Cheers for the Crit Buck, it's the world famous sloping lighthouse of Wirral where water runs uphill every other thursday :D

The image I feel looks better in Portrait as as overall landscape but to keep the thirds and make the water the main constituent of the image it had to be a square crop.

OP
OP
Buck
Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
Square and 10x8 crops are my favourite!

PS I finally got hold of a Firecrest 16 stopper. Now to get out and use it :)

digitalfailure

<span class="poty">Staff Bog Cleaner 2015</span>
Staff member
Admin
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
You'll love the Firecrest filters, without doubt the most neutral ND filter out there :D

Get a 10 stop too, for the shorter exposures.

TheBigYin

Staff member
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
@TheBigYin
Well done for another film entry. What I love about this shot is that it captures the essence of film in terms of its processing and presentation giving it a lovely aged yet timeless feel. The stack is very prominent and certainly draws the attention with the leading line of the rocks in the foreground taking the viewer through the shot. I do think this could have been even stronger if shot with the more gentle light of dawn or dusk (tide permitting!)
Sorry for taking a while to get to this, and many thanks for the feedback... I did check the photographers ephemeris website, and it's pretty much one of those sunset only locations - the cliff at frame right is north-facing and barely gets a hour and a half of daylight at best in March, when this was shot, and the only time the light is on the side visible from the beach is at sunset... Where, you've guessed it, the tide would have been in to the tune of the camera being in 3-4 feet of water at the location of this image.

Still - it's another half-decent picture from the same roll as last month's Cobbles, and considering the abuse and maltreatment that particular roll of film had prior to it being exposed, I should be grateful anything came out at all.

Well done to all the other green-team who entered, all of whom IMO produced far better shots than I did... Think December's going to be tough though, I haven't a clue what to shoot, and there's nothing "in the bank" to draw from I'm afraid... I'd hate to miss out on entering though, especially as this is the last month in the current incarnation of the (S)POTY...

Status
Not open for further replies.