Stairs - an open thread

Hi, leading to St.Peter and St. Alexander in Aschaffenburg/Germany:

DSC00207-a7r2-c-tp.jpg

There are some great shots here, but I find it interesting how few have people in.
Well the theme is "Stairs" not "People walking up or down Stairs"

stairway.jpg

kathmandu, nepal

Viewing the images here, I ponder the question "When do Steps become Stairs?" (And vice versa.)

Viewing the images here, I ponder the question "When do Steps become Stairs?" (And vice versa.)

To me all stairs contain steps....

Steps being more a description of the individual increments and stairs being a collection of steps. My granddad described it to me like that about 50 years ago when climbing over a stile in Cumbria.

Hi, I think, this depends on the number, and on the distance between them. A few examples:

A path with "slip-preventers". No stairs:

DSC01024-a7r2-z21Lox-tp.jpg

Paths with steps. No stairs:

L1014170_DxO-L35cron-tp.jpg

DSC01302-a7r2-z21Lox-tp.jpg

"Proper stairs" (unused):

L1014175_DxO-L35cron-tp.jpg

To me all stairs contain steps....

Steps being more a description of the individual increments and stairs being a collection of steps. My granddad described it to me like that about 50 years ago when climbing over a stile in Cumbria.
It's a bit like "What's the difference between a ship and a boat?"

All staircases contain steps (the correct word is "treads") but to me a staircase is a more formal arrangement, with hand rails and a regularly spaced sequence of treads.

By that logic there should be nothing else in the photos other than stairs.

Hi, maybe we can find a solution to the deep question "what makes a picture of a thing a picture of that thing ?" by looking at a few examples:

Above, I showed a crop from this picture:

tp-0-DSC09598.jpg

The crop first shown above (in my morning posting):

tp-c-DSC09598.jpg

Closer crop:

tp-1-DSC09598.jpg

Just the stairs:

tp-2-DSC09598.jpg

I think, it boils down to the question how much context the photographer feels necessary to make his pictorial statement.

How much context is necessary? When is it too much?

I would leave it to the photographer to decide, and it is a matter of taste.

The ancients had the dictum de gustibus non est disputandum I feel we could consider ... --- :)

I think, it boils down to the question how much context the photographer feels necessary to make his pictorial statement.

How much context is necessary? When is it too much?

I would leave it to the photographer to decide, and it is a matter of taste.

The ancients had the dictum de gustibus non est disputandum I feel we could consider ... --- :)[/QUOTE]
To me, it makes no difference if there are people in the shot, as long as the main subject is steps or stairs.

Back