Stairs - an open thread

It's a bit like "What's the difference between a ship and a boat?"

Mmmm, I got into trouble there. I was asked to teach a course to a bunch of students of Shipping, trade and finance. I sometimes called them boats which really annoyed them, they thought I was being deliberately rude. I asked one guy on the course what he planned to do once he graduated. He said "I am going to become a shipping magnate". I smiled and said that was a good ambition, why did he think he could become a shipping magnate? He said "because my dad is one and he is giving me some of his ships." Not one. Some!

Anyway, I just saw this video and the guy takes some decent shots of London staircases, some a little more obscure than the usual:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkaUUm5HOoY

Last edited:
Mmmm, I got into trouble there. I was asked to teach a course to a bunch of students of Shipping, trade and finance. I sometimes called them boats which really annoyed them, they thought I was being deliberately rude. I asked one guy on the course what he planned to do once he graduated. He said "I am going to become a shipping magnate". I smiled and said that was a god ambition, why did he think he could become a shipping magnate? He said "because my dad is one and he is giving me some of his ships." Not one. Some!

Anyway, I just saw this video and the guy takes some decent shots of London staircases, some a little more obscure than the usual:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkaUUm5HOoY
Ha!
One definition is that you can carry a boat on a ship, but you can't carry a ship on a boat.

Thanks for posting the link to the video.
I wouldn't say any of the locations were particularly "obscure" and with the exception of the hotel (which I was aware of) I've photographed all of them myself.
What surprises me is how NON Ultra-wide those images appear to be.
When I photographed the Heals staircase I used a Canon 10-22 EF-S lens on a crop body (x1.6 multiplier) and I'm sure I got more coverage than he did with the Laowa 7.5 on a x2 crop body.
I'm not at my desktop computer right now, but I'll post something when I can.
Incidentally, he makes it look as if he just crept in and shot both the Heals and Wellcome stairs.
I asked at both locations and they were most accomodating, even allowing me to step into a restricted area at Wellcome, to let me get the shot I wanted.

I found some interesting staircase locations from this website.

Last edited:
Ha!
One definition is that you can carry a boat on a ship, but you can't carry a ship on a boat.

Thanks for posting the link to the video.
I wouldn't say any of the locations were particularly "obscure" and with the exception of the hotel (which I was aware of) I've photographed all of them myself.
What surprises me is how NON Ultra-wide those images appear to be.
When I photographed the Heals staircase I used a Canon 10-22 EF-S lens on a crop body (x1.6 multiplier) and I'm sure I got more coverage than he did with the Laowa 7.5 on a x2 crop body.
I'm not at my desktop computer right now, but I'll post something when I can.
Incidentally, he makes it look as if he just crept in and shot both the Heals and Wellcome stairs.
I asked at both locations and they were most accomodating, even allowing me to step into a restricted area at Wellcome, to let me get the shot I wanted.

I found some interesting staircase locations from this website.

The Heal's one invites photos and gives a link where they encourage you to post, I didn't know the hotel one (and I'm pleased to discover where the '5' is, especially as it is close to work). Not sure I'd bother with the Wellcome ones though.

The Heal's one invites photos and gives a link where they encourage you to post, I didn't know the hotel one (and I'm pleased to discover where the '5' is, especially as it is close to work). Not sure I'd bother with the Wellcome ones though.

I'm not too sure about the Wellcome stairs either.
They're an odd shape and it's not possible to get a good shot from the top looking down.
My best view was in the middle looking up, but because you can't see the treads it's a bit puzzling to know exactly what you are looking at.

WellCome Staircase_01 by Brian Gibson, on Flickr

I quite like the stairs in Tate Britain.
This is taken from the basement looking straight up.

TateBritainStairs_02 by Brian Gibson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, stairs leading to a government building in Wiesbaden/Germany. - German civil servants do not take big steps, so it seems ... --- ( ;) ):

L1014690_DxO-z18-tp.jpg

Hi, to the Museum in Wiesbaden/Germany, Goethe and his feathered friend greeting visitors:

L1014691_DxO-z18-c-tp.jpg

Hi, the red carpet was a nice welcome for me in Wiesbaden/Germany: ;)

L1014724_DxO-z18-tp.jpg

Hi, to a creek in Fladungen/Bavaria (for people who want to cool their feet for therapeutic reasons):

DSC01826-a7r2-3-z21Lox-tp.jpg

His 'n' Hers.

i-8h6sCXz-X2.jpg

Now I have access to my main 'puter, I can add a few photos!

Here is the staircase in the Lawrence Tower (also known as the Haldon Belvedere) looking up and down. Not usually open to the public but I was at a wedding there. Views from the roof are spectacular!

DSCF2039.jpg

DSCF2045.jpg

Back