Standard size print, border and frames etc recommendations

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Just in the process of deciding on my very first print order mainly for myself but I have had quite a few serious enquiries and I know if I have the prints etc ready they would purchase.

What I don't want to do is choose random print sizes and find that getting the borders and frames is difficult so I thought I would ask what combination would I be safe with and can you recommend a place to purchase the borders and frames.

Like most people I don't want to spend a fortune but would rather spend a pound or two more for something of better quality

Many thanks

Tony

Standard print sizes are
6x4
7x5
8x6
10x8
16x12

Frames for all these sizes are available from supermarkets and internet suppliers etc

Shop around for frames. Decide on one or two sizes. Decide whether you want real glass over what is often ridiculously titled 'plastic glass'. For simplicity choose frames that come with matts and mounts. The matt is the piece with the aperture. Don't call it a border, which if present is part of the print. The matt aperture size will determine your print size - you will print the image slightly bigger to allow for mounting, and add a border if necessary to make the print size up to a standard lab paper size.

That's the easiest way to go for framed prints. But not all prints are sold mounted, let alone framed, so it's up to you what you offer.

4:3 prints may be easier to find a frame match for than 3:2.

Last edited:
Another related very important thing to do is ensure you are using the correct print profile which needs to be downloaded from your print lab - otherwise your colours/tone will be off

I tend to buy mounts from Cotswold Mounts, and frames from Hobbycraft. I’ve had custom sized frames made and realised afterwards that I could get the same size at Hobbycraft for less. They also do mounts if you don’t like the ones that come with the frames, but their sizes and stock levels are erratic, hence I order them separately from Hobbycraft.

Many thanks for the info it's much appreciated

@droj Could you just clarify what is the difference between a Matt and a Mount ?

Thank you

Thank you, think we have one close to home
Be careful buying frames at The Range. When I took some to the till I was given a precanned speech about accepting the condition they were in at the till and they wouldn't accept returns if they were chipped.
I looked them over and agreed, when I got them home I took the plastic corner protectors off and discovered some marking :( As they were cheap enough to begin with and it's a 30 mile round trip I coloured in the chip with black marker and got over it but I wouldn't have sold them on.

I assume people routinely damage them taking them home then go back and expect a replacement.

IKEA usually have a good selection of well made, well priced frames if you have one handy.

Be careful buying frames at The Range. When I took some to the till I was given a precanned speech about accepting the condition they were in at the till and they wouldn't accept returns if they were chipped.
I looked them over and agreed, when I got them home I took the plastic corner protectors off and discovered some marking :( As they were cheap enough to begin with and it's a 30 mile round trip I coloured in the chip with black marker and got over it but I wouldn't have sold them on.

I assume people routinely damage them taking them home then go back and expect a replacement.

IKEA usually have a good selection of well made, well priced frames if you have one handy.
most of the ones i have seen in the range, have been open, so nothing to hide,

And you weren't tempted to open them in the store?

And you weren't tempted to open them in the store?
I was buying lots of other christmas stuff and given the shrink wrapping, the visible frame and the protectors were undamaged it didn't occur to me there might be chips underneath them.
It was not the end of the world but next time I'd definitely unpack them before I left.

Just placed my first order with Trade Canvas Prints so need to purchase a few frames now for when they arrive although more than half are on canvas

Looking forward to seeing my first attempts :)

Back