Star trail attempt - help needed

T55

Name
Talv
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys
I recently went to Tromso and had an amazing time chasing the aurora with success.

With all the images I have, managed to put together a star trail but there are huge gaps left in the trails after using start stax.
The image attached is made up of 18 Images. With each image a 30sec exposure.

Is the problem that I don't have enough to images or is it due to the time taken between each exposure for the camera to do it's noise reduction thingy?

You help and advice would be most appreciated in fixing this.
Thanks

Attachments

• 1490732256745.jpg
    1490732256745.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 41
The gaps are due to the noise reduction function, its normal to turn off that function to do trails otherwise you get a 30 sec of Noise reduction during which the stars carry on moving. Googling the problem suggests there are settings in StarStax to fill in gaps. May be worth playing with the program.

As it stands its still a good picture. :)

Thanks Huffy

I did use the gap filling setting but not sure how tangible the difference is really as I haven't anything to compare against.
Will muck around with it tonight perhaps.
Thanks again

Thanks Huffy

I did use the gap filling setting but not sure how tangible the difference is really as I haven't anything to compare against.
Will muck around with it tonight perhaps.
Thanks again

Even if you use an intervalometer to fire the shutter , (these need a 2 second delay between shots) then Starstax on gap filling mode will still show the gaps. As huffy has mentioned turn off in camera noise reduction and lock the shutter with a cable release.

Back