Star trail Panorama, milky way and mud volcanoes

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Two nights out in a row after a few weeks of poor weather to try a personal project and a new location.

1. I have had an idea for a star trails pano for a month or so and got chance to try this last night. I knew conditions wouldn't be ideal so this was a trial for later in the month when the moon and hopefully weather is better.

2 cameras, my 70D and my old 400D, set up on tripods right next to each other, both with 10mm wide angle lenses (Rokinon 10mm, f2.8, canon 10-22mm, f3.5), set up with about 1/3 overlap, both on continuous shooting.

The forecast was clear and it was calm, but clouds started to roll in, and cut short the trails to only 15 minutes. Unfortunately the approaching clouds to the west also obscured the moon as it got low, so took the illumination off my foreground. The dark structure in a dark foreground has not been picked up well by the sensor or processing so appears ghosted in several places, a learning to do this next time when there is good moonlight. The clouds rolled in heavily to the south hence the lack of trails in the bottom right corner.

Post processed in lightroom, then stacked in StarStax for trails, then merged in PTGui for the panorama.

I quite like the end result but know what I would do differently next time.

Can anyone help explain the banding that appears on the image, it's particularly strong on the left side, which is my old 400D and canon 10-22mm lens. I don;t know if this is digital noise, an optical effect from the lens or an artefact of processing, it's not visible on the individual frames but it certainly seems to be amplified by the stacking process. It is much less prevalent on the RHS taken with the 70D and Rokinon lens.

shuraabad panorama by Alan, on Flickr

2. Milky Way over mud volcanoes, I love the mud trails you get on the volcanoes. This location is out in the sticks, not the usual tourist site close to Baku, no footprints or tyre tracks. Annoyingly this location does have a direct line of sight to an oil and gas terminal down on the coast, and the light pollution coming from the plant 20km away is immense. We hoped that going further in land we wold be getting away from the lights, but this is is high on a plateau and looks down on the terminal. Still it gave a nice "low level lighting" effect on the foreground!!

Gobustan volcano by Alan, on Flickr

Little man by Alan, on Flickr

The light pollution really messes with this shot, but I like it as you have Jupiter, Mars and the MW core all aligned.
stars aligned by Alan, on Flickr

Constructive C&C welcome.

Back