star trail panorama - north to south

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of years ago I took a panorama of star trails using 2 cameras, I have had an idea in my mind to try to get an image with the full hemisphere from north to south. A couple of weeks ago we tried it, 3 cameras set up together, running for 90 minutes aver this cool rock formation out in the Qobustan desert here in Azerbaijan.

This is the final processed image which I quite like.

There are some stitching issues in the top centre along the trails I know. This comes from using 2 x full frame at 14mm for the left and centre image, and a crop sensor camera at 10mm for the right hand image. I suspected this would be an issue but hoped that the final output would be close enough to merge. Although the left and centre images did blend well, the third image on the right was manually merged by some creative manual warping in photoshop.

We had a great time doing this, setting up was a fun challenge, and then on a warm clear night in the desert we sat back and shared a glass of wine or 3 whilst the cameras shot and the stars spun (I'll add we had a designated driver who didn't drink!) Getting home at 3.30am was a bit of a shock, just a few hours sleep before getting up for work the next day, but it's amazing what you can do with enough coffee.

A half moon illuminated the foreground.

All ISO 640, 30 second exposures at f2.8. Rokinon 14mmon on Canon 5dmkiv for the centre and left frames, and a rokinon 10mm on a Canon 70D for the right hand frame, 90 minutes of exposures, approx 180 frames each element.

Edited in lightroom, trails in Starstax then panorama and final edits in photoshop.

Startrails at dragon rock by Alan, on Flickr

Constructive C&C welcome and any advice on how to better manage a panorama merge of different cameras.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited:
That really is amazing. It looks like swirling eddies and currents in a stream. I have no idea of the technical challenges you faced and personally I don't think it matters that your images didn't merge perfectly in places; the reason being that it is so obviously artificial who cares!

Excellent work, most unusual but I like that (y)

Back