star trail panorama rework

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
After reading Ben's thread and the associated link I reworked a star trails image from last year that was suffering from horrible banding in the images output from Starstax. Many thanks!! not applying the lens correction to the files before stacking removed the banding effect from my final images.

This is a star trails panorama, stitched from 2 cameras sunning trails with overlapping fields of view. Even without applying the lens correction, PTGui still stitched them together without too much problem, although I couldn't get it exactly the same as my original.

I also took the chance to reprocess the overall image and bring out more of the star colour which I had ignored in my original version. These were shot at ISO 400 and there was a lot more colour than I originally realised.

The original image is here. I think I prefer version 2. I'd like to run more of these, just need to develop the patience to run for multiple hours!!

Constructive C&C welcome.

Cheers

Alan

besh barmag star trails by Alan, on Flickr

This is absolutely brilliant. I was wondering what complex technique would be involved in creating a star trails panorama. 2 cameras! Brilliantly simple and I feel daft for not even considering that!

Excellent

This is absolutely brilliant. I was wondering what complex technique would be involved in creating a star trails panorama. 2 cameras! Brilliantly simple and I feel daft for not even considering that!

Thanks, I now have 3 cameras as I bought a new body last month. If I can make 2 crop sensor camera’s work with the full frame I can go the full pole to pole:)

Crops at 10mm should hopefully work with my full frame and Rokinon 14mm for stitching.

Back