Star Wars VII - What did you think? (NO SPOILERS!)

I know you said no spoilers but...

spoilerwars.jpg

Curses! foiled again!

If anyone does want to go back and watch the full saga from the beginning, it might be worthwhile checking out the "No Cheese" edits for the prequels. These are fan edits when much of the comedy nonsense, all talk of midichlorians and other highly disdained elements have been cut out. Furthermore much of the dialogue has been redubbed in the hope of brining these movies up to par.

I haven't had time to watch them yet, so if you are brave enough, let me know if they are worth it...

These are not the clips you were looking for......

So far there haven't been much by the way of spoilers in this thread so I'm going to stick my comments in a spoiler, if you haven't seen it and intend to do so DON'T READ the spoiler below

What did I think? I was very much in two minds about it. As a film it was good, well produced, good casting, interesting female lead, good action, good effects, pretty much seamless CGI. Also I was pleasantly surprised that Disney hadn't Disney-fied it, in fact it was a lot less whimsical than most of Lucas's efforts. Also the Storm troopers finally seem to have learned to hit something with a blaster.

However, as a continuation of the Star Wars series (and I've watched them all at the Cinema) I thought it was pretty much a rehash of the other films without being a full-on "reboot" (e.g. Batman). How many times are the baddies going to build a mega weapon only for it to be defeated by a handful of X-Wings? How many force-users are going to kill their farthers? Why did the supreme leader look like Gollum? Could Rey really teach herself to use the force to that extent (the force is strong in this one, indeed), if so why did Luke need so much help (probably because he is a bloke...)

And they just couldn't get away from the stock Hollywood clichés with respect to the black supporting actor.

So overall I enjoyed the film, and thought it was worth watching in it's own right but I was bit underwhelmed by it as the next episode of Star Wars, although that is probably true of every Star Wars film apart from the first two, so may be it is keeping up a fine tradition. As Sheldon on the Big Bang theory said "I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended"

I have never seen any of the Star Wars films - in part as I was living in a remote area with no cinema within about 60 miles when they first came out..!
However, I need to vacate my house on Monday as eldest daughter is having a party so have to take younger one out, and as there is little else on may go to see this one - will it matter that I've never seen any before or should I just buy the biggest tub of popcorn and bury my head in it until the credits roll ?

Well, I guess I am no convert.
It was OK, didn't blow me away in terms of special effects, seemed to go on a bit long, and was a little corny.
Lots of low'n'loud noises, which seemed to peak too early in the film, leaving the big finish to be slightly less of one. 3D was predictable, like it had been made a few years ago.
Daughter and friend (aged 11) both loved it, as did the packed cinema.

Maybe its just me.

Popcorn was good mind...

Just got back from the 8am screening at Manchester Printworks.

Loved it. JJ Abrams has got the feel of it spot on.

It has everything you want from a Star Wars film. The dogfights looked amazing in 3d IMAX. Not much of a story but I wasn't expecting much anyway.

8.5/10
That's the trouble now (no story)all these films are really poor in comparison to older films.All the Directors concentrate on now is CGI and it does not work for me at all. George Lucas sold out and made a complete arse of himself with the last set of Stra Wars films.

Would have been better as a WAV than an MPEG and she should have waved a match...

We went last night. Loved it.. Bit vexed about one thing but there you go!

Went to see it and as a long time fan.....(right age when the first films were on the flicks) I had high hopes, Not dissapointed and liked the fact they have gone back to the less is more when it comes to CGI two main characters were very good esp the girl. I left however with the thought it was the start of a beautiful friendship between my bank balance and Disney......cinical I know.....I enjoyed it though.

I will go again to take more in on a cheap day at the local flicks

Quite simply, I loved it.
Liked new characters and casting, and a couple of unexpected turns thrown in.
Now, where can I get a real BB droid? :)

As a long termer appreciating Star Wars (the term fan suggests a level of dedication (obsessiveness?) I've yet to master) I wasn't disappointed. It felt a bit like the first film (IV) in that it is basically setting the scene for the rest of the trilogy and the new spin offs. Wasn't always clear what was going on if a straight first time view but as number 7 in the trilogy it was fairly understandable. Will continue to watch.

Just seen it in 3D. The film was as good as expected. 3D is quite good these days. But still falls on the high speed action.

But the VUE cinema in Oxford really was a bitter, horrendous experience. The clueless staff had to get the manager who lied to us. Nasty lazy organisation that tried to rip us off.

Last edited:
Saw it this afternoon in 3D, absolutely first class with a wee bit of humour thrown in!

Saw it the other night and was impressed with it, much better than expected. Also watched by someone with no Star Wars history who loved it, and are now keen to see the others. Given there's 6 previous films to watch for them, do they start at Ep 1 or Ep 4???

Saw it yesterday,, and really enjoyed it,, now looking forward to the next one

Similar "story" in all of them imho. Bit of a love story, crack a few jokes, blow up a planet or two, confusing relationships with some black sheep, chase and explosions(lots) & finish saving the galaxy with happy ish ending. Probably best to mention I am not a fan :) and no offence to star wars fans.

Went to see it this afternoon I didn't think it is as good as the three original ones but better than the prequels. Its definitely worth a look but I left with the feeling that the script was written with more episodes in mind .

It was like watching episode 4 again but with more humour - we loved it :)

I'd go as far as to say it was the best film of 2015 for me - better than Spectre and Age of Ultron.

Having watched Star Wars for the second time yesterday, now that the hype has subsided a bit and I've had time to reflect and take on board the theories going round and evaluate it a bit more rationally I think it's fair to say.....

It's still a frickin' amazing film and even better in 3D!

I went with my Sister-in-law, nephew Brad (11) and niece Lucy (9)....... Brad thought it was brilliant, pretty much got what was going on, I explained some of the theories going round about some of the characters to my SiL and she can now see where it's likely to be heading.

Lucy on the other hand said "I didn't really get what was going on but I loved it when they were all shooting at each other PEW PEW PEW PEW!" :LOL:

Last edited:
I never managed to keep track of who was whose father or sister. Although I saw it with my sister in law, who comes from a large family with endless nieces and nephews and is used to tracking who belongs to who. She decoded most of the Star Wars relationships.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the film, but thought that the 3d conversion was poor. Distant points/strips of light, which there a lot of in Star Wars, overlap & blur, & the 3d 'events' are few & far between.

Very little of the film was recorded on 3d cameras, so I think it's better to watch in sharp 2d.

I'm pretty sure none of the film was shot on 3D but happy to be corrected.
It was shot on 35mm film though. [emoji4]

I enjoyed the film, but thought that the 3d conversion was poor. Distant points/strips of light, which there a lot of in Star Wars, overlap & blur, & the 3d 'events' are few & far between.
Watched it in 2d last night with mates who'd seen it in 3d a week or two ago, they both said that they'd seen (and heard) far more of what was going on in the 2d version. They both commented that quite a lot of facial expression and features were completely hidden by the 3d.

Went to see it this afternoon I didn't think it is as good as the three original ones but better than the prequels. Its definitely worth a look but I left with the feeling that the script was written with more episodes in mind .

Star Wars was a 12 part story long before it was a movie franchise, and Lucas, at the very beginning, hinted that he wanted to make nine "episodes".

I saw it on Sunday with my mate. I wanted to see it in 3D, my mate wasn't so keen. I wanted to see it in IMAX 3D, but they were sold out when I could go. As soon as the Star Wars writing came on the screen and floated above the stars for the pre story text, we both turned to say the 3D was worth it. :LOL: I've seen a few 3D films and this was the best after Avatar.

I enjoyed the film. It was a nod back to the first three films in many ways, not only in the styling. It felt a short film though, and I would have liked a bit more depth to some aspects of the story. There was no way that it could have matched the magic of seeing the first three films all those years ago, but seeing the old characters (adjusted for time ;)) in there got as close as possible. It left me wanting to see the next one, which is no bad thing. :) Just got to wait till May 2017. :(

There is the first spin off next December,
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, about how the plans to the Death Star were stolen before the first film. Hopefully it will be done as well as the Force Awakens.

the 2d version is fairly soft. in some shops its very clearly not sharp, though i think that Abrams made the choice to film it in a very similar style, so maybe the softness to the shots is part of that.

At the risk of looking like a nerd, I saw it on opening night in 2d and yesterday in 3D*.

I thought it stood with the originals, better than the prequels, looking forward to what comes next.

* I'm not but I live with a couple.

Back