Star Wars VII - What did you think? (NO SPOILERS!)

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
So I just got back from the cinema having watched the midnight showing of The Force Awakens, and I have to say it's so, sooo much better than I was expecting! It lived up to all the hype and then some more.

For me the best thing was that the fight scenes weren't as over the top as episodes I to III and that they just seemed more realistic rather than a whole load of flips and spins all the time.

I thought that the acting was great too, and I loved the comedy moment they added. Enough to make you laugh but not too much that it's cringey. I also really loved that BB8 droid :D

What did everyone else think?

(Please don't post any spoilers as I wouldn't want to ruin it for people who haven't seen it yet)

Last edited:
Have yet to see any of the Star Wars films, no interest in this one either.
Its all a bit weird to me.

Sounds good, really looking forward to seeing it, remember queuing to see the original, none of that booking online back then

After playing it cool and saying I was going to watch it after Christmas when I've got some time off........... last night I booked tickets to see it this evening, I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve right now :LOL:

I'll get it on DVD or BluRay for commercialmas - next year or '17!!!

Still in two minds of I want to see it or not. The more I see the trailer the more it looks so blatantly like every other Disney production.

Intergalactic soap opera.

Just got back from the 8am screening at Manchester Printworks.

Loved it. JJ Abrams has got the feel of it spot on.

It has everything you want from a Star Wars film. The dogfights looked amazing in 3d IMAX. Not much of a story but I wasn't expecting much anyway.

8.5/10

Spoiler Alert

7xc3hat.jpg

Planning on taking my son over the next few days, I dont like the 3 recent ones, the originals were so much better so good to hear this one sounds good!

Where going Monday, pretty much the whole immediate family barring my youngest son who is in China and he's off to Hong Kong tomorrow to see it. I'll miss him, we went to see episode 1,2 and 3 together, he's too young for 4,5 and 6. It won't be the same without him.

Not sure how I can give an opinion without a spoiler so ignore this for those who haven't seen it...

I really enjoyed it... but a little too predictable for me. Some great new characters, and I really enjoyed seeing the original case. My main gripe - it was virtually the same story as A New Hope. A Rey learnt how to use the force waaaaay too quickly.

Intergalactic soap opera.

Still a damn sight better than the Emmerstreetenders arse gravy that's on TV every bloody night.

Was at a midnight showing last night and can't wait to go see it again! It was that good. This is going to be the movie that creates a new generation of Star Wars fans.

I went to the 12.01am screening and have to say I was well impressed. I have to confess I did have my reservations when Lucas sold out to Disney, but on the whole my concerns were unfounded. Not sure about Skywalker marrying Cinderella worked, and the mickey mouse ears on the high ranking stormtroopers looked a bit cheesy, but other than that I really enjoyed it.

When the original Star Wars came out back in 1977, I went 3 nights on the trot. As has been mentioned, pre booking today is so much more enjoyable the queuing. Not ruling out going again at the weekend.

Saw it this morning and loved it, ticked all the boxes. Simple story line well done. Loved it!

So glad I went to see it last night...... I would possibly rate it as my favourite film of all time.

It "felt" like a proper Star Wars film, the sheer scale of it was immense, the new characters were fantastic and it put me through the whole range of emotions.

Can't wait for Episode VIII to come out but in the mean time I may go and watch it again :LOL:

Pretty good film but a couple of minor issues but the cinema itself was a bit blurry and the sound was a bit crap

Saw a 6:20am Thursday showing on IMAX 3D - have to say it was brilliant - up there with the the oldies and not a jarjar binks character or similar to ruin it. Of course it's well set for the next episode...

Went with my son last night, really impressed Disney did a great job and both of us cannot wait for next one now. Might even go see it in 3D in the next town that has 3D over Christmas :)

Saw it on the opening night after work. I didn't read any reviews or buy any hype before going based on the prequels which I found awful.

I loved it. It worked really well and I enjoyed some of the nice subtle links to the original trilogy. John Boyega was superb in my opinion.
If anyone has any doubts based on the prequels then shun them now. It definitely is deserving of the hype and as someone has already said, it's bringing a new generation of Star Wars fans.

I have never seen any of the Star Wars films - in part as I was living in a remote area with no cinema within about 60 miles when they first came out..!
However, I need to vacate my house on Monday as eldest daughter is having a party so have to take younger one out, and as there is little else on may go to see this one - will it matter that I've never seen any before or should I just buy the biggest tub of popcorn and bury my head in it until the credits roll ?

Wouldn't matter if you haven't seen the rest. My wife decided she wanted to come along just before I booked for the midnight show on Wed so held back for the Thur dinner show. She hadn't seen the original movies and only parts of the newer 3.(don't think they were shown in china) I was worried she would get lost in the characters so tried to explain as much as possible before we went. She fully got who was who for the most part as its well layed out.
I really enjoyed it,my only gripe was they put in too many comedy type bits for me.

Last edited:
Wouldn't matter if you haven't seen the rest. My wife decided she wanted to come along just before I booked for the midnight show on Wed so held back for the Thur dinner show. She hadn't seen the original movies and only parts of the newer 3.(don't think they were shown in china) I was worried she would get lost in the characters so tried to explain as much as possible before we went. She fully got who was who for the most part as its well layed out.
I really enjoyed it,my only gripe was they put in too many comedy type bits for me.
Thanks pmac - just the sort of answer I was hoping for. I'll book some tickets..

Well, I've just finished re-watching the previous 6 but am unlikely to get to see the new one in the near future but, at the risk of being tarred & feathered here, I actually like episodes I - III

:exit:

Well, I've just finished re-watching the previous 6 but am unlikely to get to see the new one in the near future but, at the risk of being tarred & feathered here, I actually like episodes I - III

:exit:

What is this episode I-III you talk off, never heard of such a thing ;)

Sadly my wife now wants to watch the 6 older ones and I don't think I can get away with just the 3 original.

Just got back from cinema, wow! I was hopeful based on comments on here but it was even better than that. Ford was excellent and there were so many nods to the originals which was good. It fully deserves to be mentioned alongside the originals and are nothing like the pile of crap we were served with a few years back.

Watched it last night and it was really good - surprised how empty the cinema was probably only 10% of seat occupied. Went with the 3d version although its a bit fiddly having to use the clip on glasses over regular glasses and I find the glasses reduce the brightness of the screen by about 2 stops.

Great thread ALL very encouraging for us tomorrow! cant wait.......

What is this episode I-III you talk off, never heard of such a thing ;)

Sadly my wife now wants to watch the 6 older ones and I don't think I can get away with just the 3 original.

OK..... Episode I was a big pile of stinky stuff, II was OK and I actually think III is up there with the best, definitely the darkest of the films.

Like them or loathe them, personally I liked the way they filled in the gaps of events eluded to in episodes IV-VI.

Will hopefully be going back to see it in 3D next week with my brother and his family :)

Back