Starry Night at lake Minnewanka

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I prefer to do my shooting at night it must be said. There's just something relaxing about sitting on top of a hill or up a mountain in the wee hours of the morning, with nobody around to disturb you.

Usually I go for pretty long star-trail images, but as a rule, before I start a star trail I'll always do a high-iso (3200+) test shot first, to make sure it's all in focus and composed nicely etc. These images usually just get thrown away in lightroom, but occasionally I look at one and end up preferring the test-shot to the star trail.

This is one such image. Yes it's a bit noisy (click on image to go to flickr to view large), this is ISO 3200 afterall, but there's just something about it I really like.

Here's the 2nd image, the star trail for same location.

Last edited:
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
That's a great image, i don't think these days you'd get away with calling a Lake that :)

jgs001

Brian Cox
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Lovely... It looks like a stunning site too with wonderfully dark skies.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
My lil brother got married there 2 years ago this is a great pic that reminds me exactly of the area (dark skys and mountains!)

Great "throw away" shot.

Nick.

OP
OP
_belial
Edit My Images
No
Thank you all, i've got so many pictures from my vacation to get through it'll take me all year :)

Nick, if your brother got married there he was very lucky, it's a wonderful place, I went there on my honeymoon and fell in love with the country. This was my 4th holiday back there.

Edit My Images
No
I hear ya Carl. I think I deleted the ISO 1600 images I took for my star trail tests. Wish I hadn't in a way... in fact, I'm going to go and have a look in case I do have them.

Love the stars in this shot mate.

Name
jason osborne
Edit My Images
Yes
awesome mate im off to gambia in a couple of weeks so the opportunity is there for me to try shots like this due to the very low pollution levels over there! No chance in manchester where i live!

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
Carl

That's a really nice shot and the noise in the image doesn't detract from it - when I looked at the large size on flickr I'd say it actually added a little something

(y)

OP
OP
_belial
Edit My Images
No
Thanks all, i've always loved doing star trails + star shots, so Canada is a haven for me, even if I do live in deepest darkest Wales :0

Updated post with a 2nd image now, showing the star trail I took that evening.

joescrivens

Suspended / Banned
Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
i used to live right near lake minnewanka and always used to chuckle when i drove past the sign, then i was told by a local it's not pronounced wanka but wonka

Edit My Images
No
Cracking star trails as usual Carl :)

Has to be said you were my inspiration for the Scotland Loch Lomond star trails I did :)