Starry Night at lake Minnewanka

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I prefer to do my shooting at night it must be said. There's just something relaxing about sitting on top of a hill or up a mountain in the wee hours of the morning, with nobody around to disturb you.

Usually I go for pretty long star-trail images, but as a rule, before I start a star trail I'll always do a high-iso (3200+) test shot first, to make sure it's all in focus and composed nicely etc. These images usually just get thrown away in lightroom, but occasionally I look at one and end up preferring the test-shot to the star trail.

This is one such image. Yes it's a bit noisy (click on image to go to flickr to view large), this is ISO 3200 afterall, but there's just something about it I really like.

Here's the 2nd image, the star trail for same location.

Last edited:
That's a great image, i don't think these days you'd get away with calling a Lake that :)

Lovely... It looks like a stunning site too with wonderfully dark skies.

My lil brother got married there 2 years ago this is a great pic that reminds me exactly of the area (dark skys and mountains!)

Great "throw away" shot.

Nick.

Thank you all, i've got so many pictures from my vacation to get through it'll take me all year :)

Nick, if your brother got married there he was very lucky, it's a wonderful place, I went there on my honeymoon and fell in love with the country. This was my 4th holiday back there.

I hear ya Carl. I think I deleted the ISO 1600 images I took for my star trail tests. Wish I hadn't in a way... in fact, I'm going to go and have a look in case I do have them.

Love the stars in this shot mate.

awesome mate im off to gambia in a couple of weeks so the opportunity is there for me to try shots like this due to the very low pollution levels over there! No chance in manchester where i live!

Carl

That's a really nice shot and the noise in the image doesn't detract from it - when I looked at the large size on flickr I'd say it actually added a little something

(y)

Thanks all, i've always loved doing star trails + star shots, so Canada is a haven for me, even if I do live in deepest darkest Wales :0

Updated post with a 2nd image now, showing the star trail I took that evening.

i used to live right near lake minnewanka and always used to chuckle when i drove past the sign, then i was told by a local it's not pronounced wanka but wonka

Fantastic images... but why oh why would you call a beautiful lake that? :LOL:

Cracking star trails as usual Carl :)

Has to be said you were my inspiration for the Scotland Loch Lomond star trails I did :)

Back