Critique Starting out in Portraits

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Got myself a studio kit and some bits and beginning to practice portraiture.

One of my older daughter which I'd appreciate critique and feedback about. One keylight in medium softbox high up on my left and a reflector on my right. Grey background.

I almost like it but something feels a little of- nothing massive or it would be obvious (I hope) but would appreciate others views

Alice 01 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

To me, Jim, this is a "sweet teen" shot where you
might consider retrieving the highlights a tad. :cool:

To the left for more shadow or right for less shadow?

I would try both Jim. You will know when you see it. It’s maybe just coincidence that the tilt combined with the shadow and light just doesn’t flatter her nose. It’s presented as a bit of a concave curve in its current form. Can you see what I mean?

And yes, as @Kodiak Qc suggests... raising the highlights on her hair will add to the portrait. I do like the shot :)

It’s presented as a bit of a concave curve in its current form.

I think I might need transform in PS to fix the concave bit- there's a bit of a bend there without the lens. Will relook at the highlights as I reduced exposure slightly thinking it was a little overcooked. Might have to be a bit more selective on that.

Looks a great start Jim. Softbox position looks about right, maybe a tad higher for a classical loop lighting setup, but be sure to get it as close as possible, normally in shot. Once the lighting is there just concentrate on expressions and take plenty of shots to pick from.

It's really quite good.

You haven't quite flattered her face shape. If the light were higher and a smidge more round to the front then the nose shadow would look more natural.
I suspect that an even longer focal length would have suited her, too; I sometimes end up at 200mm on folk with angular features.

It's really quite good.

You haven't quite flattered her face shape. If the light were higher and a smidge more round to the front then the nose shadow would look more natural.
I suspect that an even longer focal length would have suited her, too; I sometimes end up at 200mm on folk with angular features.

Thank you . I was trying out the 85mm lens. Will think about the 105 or zoom and get a bit further back and need to play with lighting in the smidgen region. I think I just need to keep playing but perhaps get a bit slower and more methodical about the lighting before I try the engagement and shooting subjects.

Back